Old 18-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Griff" writes:

This year the first 2 - 3ft of flowers on my runner beans have
dropped off without any beans having formed?

Anyone have any suggestions as how to prevent this happening.

Water them regularly.

Hopefully the rest might set?

It depends on the weather.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Yes, it's because of the dry weather. Some people spray the flowers
very lightly with water in dry spells, but I doubt if it makes any
difference; it's said pink- or white-flowered varieties are less
prone to the problem, but I'm not sure if it's really true, as I've
never grown both at once; and I changed to French anyhow. The best
medicine is lots of moisture-retentive stuff in the bottom of the
trench before planting, and avoid having heat-waves afterwards.

--
Mike.