Old 18-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Griff

Default Bean flowers dropping off

Hi,

This year the first 2 - 3ft of flowers on my runner beans have dropped off
without any beans having formed?

Anyone have any suggestions as how to prevent this happening.

Hopefully the rest might set?

Griff.

Old 18-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Griff" writes:

| This year the first 2 - 3ft of flowers on my runner beans have dropped off
| without any beans having formed?
|
| Anyone have any suggestions as how to prevent this happening.

Water them regularly.

| Hopefully the rest might set?

It depends on the weather.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Griff" writes:

This year the first 2 - 3ft of flowers on my runner beans have
dropped off without any beans having formed?

Anyone have any suggestions as how to prevent this happening.

Water them regularly.

Hopefully the rest might set?

It depends on the weather.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Yes, it's because of the dry weather. Some people spray the flowers
very lightly with water in dry spells, but I doubt if it makes any
difference; it's said pink- or white-flowered varieties are less
prone to the problem, but I'm not sure if it's really true, as I've
never grown both at once; and I changed to French anyhow. The best
medicine is lots of moisture-retentive stuff in the bottom of the
trench before planting, and avoid having heat-waves afterwards.

--
Mike.

Old 18-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Broadback

Mike Lyle wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
"Griff" writes:

This year the first 2 - 3ft of flowers on my runner beans have
dropped off without any beans having formed?

Anyone have any suggestions as how to prevent this happening.

Water them regularly.

Hopefully the rest might set?

It depends on the weather.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Yes, it's because of the dry weather. Some people spray the flowers
very lightly with water in dry spells, but I doubt if it makes any
difference; it's said pink- or white-flowered varieties are less
prone to the problem, but I'm not sure if it's really true, as I've
never grown both at once; and I changed to French anyhow. The best
medicine is lots of moisture-retentive stuff in the bottom of the
trench before planting, and avoid having heat-waves afterwards.

Actually a study of the effect of spraying with water in the evenings
was thought (not absolutely conclusive) to be beneficial. The logic
being that the evaporation of the water cooled the beans thus helping
the beans set. In the wild beans grow where there are chilly nights

--
All replies to this email address are deleted on receipt.

Common sense, not common market.

Old 18-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

Actually a study of the effect of spraying with water in the evenings
was thought (not absolutely conclusive) to be beneficial. The logic
being that the evaporation of the water cooled the beans thus helping
the beans set. In the wild beans grow where there are chilly nights

And often, moisture-laden atmosphere.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 18-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Griff" contains these words:

Hi,

This year the first 2 - 3ft of flowers on my runner beans have dropped off
without any beans having formed?

possibly either to cold or too hot/dry for their liking

Anyone have any suggestions as how to prevent this happening.

If it's been very hot/dry lately in your neck of the woods, soak the
soil really well preferably in the evening, and while you're at it
lightly spray the flowers with a fine mist of water.

Hopefully the rest might set?

Should do. They can flower and fruit until frost comes. Mine are very
late even starting to flower this year ,after a cold spring when they
did nothing for weeks.

Janet.
Old 18-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

Mike Lyle wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
"Griff" writes:

This year the first 2 - 3ft of flowers on my runner beans have
dropped off without any beans having formed?

Anyone have any suggestions as how to prevent this happening.

Water them regularly.

Yes, it's because of the dry weather.

[snip]

The best
medicine is lots of moisture-retentive stuff in the bottom of the
trench before planting, and avoid having heat-waves afterwards.

I was also instructed by my gardening book to put grass clippings around
the base of the plants as a mulch. This plus watering, and my beans
seem to be setting fine.

Rhiannon