Old 14-11-2002, 05:48 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Gardening & Spiders

"Chris
We were in Australia about 10 years ago, went on a canoe trip down a
river in Queensland with a group of others. Had been looking at various
creatures on the way, and had been close to some fairly poisonous snake
sleeping in a tree, taking photos. Others wouldn't go near it.

Everyone thought it highly amusing when a little while later there was a
huge screech and Helen leapt from the canoe (we were by the bank) they
hurried over to find a small harmless spider had dropped from a tree
into the canoe near Helen.

Ah yes, the "Huntsman". I remember arriving at our chosen apartment in Port
Douglas on my own, Sue and Sister were arriving from another direction much
later. Just getting dark so pulled the curtains, at which point this large
spider (compared to the UK ones) fell on the floor upside-down. I thought it
dead so prodded it with my finger at which point it jumped about a foot in
the air and ran off...so did I ...to get a bowl to cover it and carry it
outside. It was only later I discovered they are totally harmless.
Those hand sized "Golden Orbes" are pretty though, with their 10ft wide
webs. Locals said if I walked into one to just walk backwards a couple of
steps and turn slowly to the side and it would peel off. I'm not sure I
would be calm enough. :-)

--
Bob
http://www.pooleygreengrowers.org.uk/ about an allotment site