Old 18-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Roy

Really.your spinning your wheels if your gong to stop seeps and leaks
with calcium bentonite clay due to the fact the swelling rate is about
20x less.........and it takes a heap of the stuff.......Sodium is
whats recomended for leaks and seeps, in a natural pond, not be me,
but by Bentonite corp......and its not a gimick as both sodium or
calcium carry the same price....so there has to be a
difference.........Who evcer would want to thorow sodium into a liner
type pond with filters and plumbing is gong to bite the bullet one day
when the stuff all swells up and gets accumulated nthe filter pads and
plumbing lines internallay get a thick gooey film that catches
everything in it and flow is reduced........Calcium bentonite is for
small doses for so called pond and koi benefits, sodium is for natural
ponds and sealing up leaks and seeps.......

I can just about guarantee it would take 20x more calcium bentonite to
seal a pond made out of sand as compared to one made out of sand
sealed with sodium bentonite......Using calcium bentonite to seal a
pond is just not a recomended way......PERIOD.

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:06:43 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:

===
===Roy wrote:
===
=== Somehow that just does not surprise me one bit. I deal with foundry on
=== a pretty large scale but only as a hobby or small side line business,
=== and patronize quite a few forums related to foundry stuff. One or
=== two forums will always find those wanting to use kitty litter because
=== its cheaper and they only want 5 pounds not 50 or 100.......but they
=== do not know what kind of kitty litter it is to begin with........They
=== all assume its one and the same, be it deorderized or plain jane
=== "western", and insist on usiing it for refractory mix, as well as
=== greensand molds.........Most of these folks only ever play with
=== aluminum or lead, and most will still run out and buy kitty litter and
=== then come back latter complaiining that their refratory or greensand
===...
===
===Roy, that's way different from using it in a pond. I'm sure the chemical
===properties differ, but you were told the "physical properties are nearly
===identical". In a pond, for planting purposes, or for sealing a natural
===bottom, it makes little to no difference.

"The original frugal ponder"