Old 19-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Wilmdale

That is a good suggestion. I recently was working on the plumbing
behind the water fall. Spent hours back there sitting, working,
thinking about how I screwed that up and all and you know. Then one
day, I am just inches away from the lip of my stock tank filter. I see
the 'yellow jacket' looking wasp crawl under the lip. That's odd I
thought. It can't get any water there. So, curious me, I stick my face
down there to see a little nest with one pitiful looking wasp. Nature.
I left it alone, continued working, still go back there just a foot away
from the nest and no problem. I know they are part of the food chain
someway, so I just leave them alone. And now that my external pump with
priming pot is working very well, I don't go back there much except to
look for something else to do. :-P . So, leave em alone and they will
be ok. However, if they are really annoying and you are allergic and
don't want to take the risk, hit 'em in the evening with Raid or with a
torch. You have to be careful not to get the Raid in your water. We
used fire when I was a smaller child living in Laurel, MS.
W. Dale

CanadianCowboyİ wrote:

I hate stinging insects but when my pond went up it was wasp city in
and around as I am a good source of water for them. They even tried
building a nest close by two years in a row which I quickly disposed of.
Chances are is that you do have a nest close by but not visible.
All I can say is to leave them alone and they should leave you alone
especially when you are providing them with food and water.
I tend to do my maintenance later in the day when the wasps are at home.