Old 19-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Reel Mckoi

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks to all Posters old and new. I've been reading this group for a
while while building my first pond.
I finished it a couple of months ago. Its a 6ftx6ft 300 gal liner
pool. Half raised, half dug in to the ground.
Following advice from various posts I didn't have any problems and my
10 goldfish are now enjoying perfectly clear water. The various plants
are all surviving some better than others.
I have a bucket style in pond filter which has worked OK. I did go
through a green water phase for a couple of weeks. But having read this
group I was expecting it. It cleared up without any chemicals being
used.
As predicted by various posts I now want a bigger pond. But I'll use
the first one as a learning experience.

$$ You can always use it as an attached veggie filter to another larger
pond.

Due to it being sited between a
path and boundary fence it couldn't have been any bigger.
At the moment its about 20-22 inches deep which should be fine for
goldfish. I'm in the UK so extended hard frosts are rare.
If I ever want to try Koi I have the option of making the
retaining wall a foot or 15 inches higher to deepen the pool but I
would more likely build a bigger pond elsewhere in the garden.

$$ I'm going to bet you'll soon build a bigger pond elsewhere in your
garden. ;-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b