Old 19-07-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Hello All at Rec Ponds.

Thanks to all Posters old and new. I've been reading this group for a
while while building my first pond.
I finished it a couple of months ago. Its a 6ftx6ft 300 gal liner
pool. Half raised, half dug in to the ground.
Following advice from various posts I didn't have any problems and my
10 goldfish are now enjoying perfectly clear water. The various plants
are all surviving some better than others.
I have a bucket style in pond filter which has worked OK. I did go
through a green water phase for a couple of weeks. But having read this
group I was expecting it. It cleared up without any chemicals being
used.
As predicted by various posts I now want a bigger pond. But I'll use
the first one as a learning experience. Due to it being sited between a
path and boundary fence it couldn't have been any bigger.
At the moment its about 20-22 inches deep which should be fine for
goldfish. I'm in the UK so extended hard frosts are rare.
If I ever want to try Koi I have the option of making the
retaining wall a foot or 15 inches higher to deepen the pool but I
would more likely build a bigger pond elsewhere in the garden.
Anyway thanks to all
Iain

Old 19-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Reel Mckoi

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks to all Posters old and new. I've been reading this group for a
while while building my first pond.
I finished it a couple of months ago. Its a 6ftx6ft 300 gal liner
pool. Half raised, half dug in to the ground.
Following advice from various posts I didn't have any problems and my
10 goldfish are now enjoying perfectly clear water. The various plants
are all surviving some better than others.
I have a bucket style in pond filter which has worked OK. I did go
through a green water phase for a couple of weeks. But having read this
group I was expecting it. It cleared up without any chemicals being
used.
As predicted by various posts I now want a bigger pond. But I'll use
the first one as a learning experience.

$$ You can always use it as an attached veggie filter to another larger
pond.

Due to it being sited between a
path and boundary fence it couldn't have been any bigger.
At the moment its about 20-22 inches deep which should be fine for
goldfish. I'm in the UK so extended hard frosts are rare.
If I ever want to try Koi I have the option of making the
retaining wall a foot or 15 inches higher to deepen the pool but I
would more likely build a bigger pond elsewhere in the garden.

$$ I'm going to bet you'll soon build a bigger pond elsewhere in your
garden. ;-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 19-07-2005, 05:10 PM
kathy

Hey Iain,

We're glad it's working out so well for you
and if you decide to go bigger we'll be
anxious to hear all about it!

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ the rat-tail maggot!

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 19-07-2005, 05:18 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Thanks to all Posters old and new. I've been reading this group for a
while while building my first pond.
I finished it a couple of months ago. Its a 6ftx6ft 300 gal liner
pool. Half raised, half dug in to the ground.
Following advice from various posts I didn't have any problems and my
10 goldfish are now enjoying perfectly clear water. The various plants
are all surviving some better than others. snip Iain

Always good to hear that someone is getting and taking the good advice that
does come out of here once in awhile. ;-) The 1st pond can always be used
as a quarantine tank, especially if you're thinking koi anytime soon. Now
it's time for a web page. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~