Old 19-07-2005, 11:31 PM
San Diego Joe

"bbrown9506" wrote:

I have a few turtles in the pond, most stay put but I have one bigger
one who refuses to stay in the pond! I have found him about a dozen
times buried in my flower beds. ANyway why does he continue to do this
i know they hibernate but I would think since its summer that it cant
be to cold! He eats and suns when I find him and put him back in the
pond, but he always ends up getting out and burying himself somewhere!
Right now I dont know where he went, he usually hides in the same two
spots but this time he changed it up to confuse me and I cant find him
anywhere. I dont want to fence in pond since I think that would be
unsightly, but wondering if there is any keeping a determined turtle to
stay put? Any ideas apprciated--and I you know where he might be hiding
please let me know--lol

I have a RES that routinely goes on walk about. My yard is fenced, so he
can't leave. He eventually just goes back to the pond. He could be looking
for a) a mate, b) a place to lay eggs or c) he likes to sightsee.

This is a water turtle you have right? I wouldn't worry too much, unless he
can leave your yard or if you have dogs. Dogs can do serious damage to a
turtle, fortunately, my mighty pack just barks their collective brains out
at him.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.