Old 19-07-2005, 08:30 PM
bbrown9506

Default Turtle MIA?

I have a few turtles in the pond, most stay put but I have one bigger
one who refuses to stay in the pond! I have found him about a dozen
times buried in my flower beds. ANyway why does he continue to do this
i know they hibernate but I would think since its summer that it cant
be to cold! He eats and suns when I find him and put him back in the
pond, but he always ends up getting out and burying himself somewhere!
Right now I dont know where he went, he usually hides in the same two
spots but this time he changed it up to confuse me and I cant find him
anywhere. I dont want to fence in pond since I think that would be
unsightly, but wondering if there is any keeping a determined turtle to
stay put? Any ideas apprciated--and I you know where he might be hiding
please let me know--lol

Old 19-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Reel Mckoi

"bbrown9506" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a few turtles in the pond, most stay put but I have one bigger
one who refuses to stay in the pond! I have found him about a dozen
times buried in my flower beds. ANyway why does he continue to do this
i know they hibernate but I would think since its summer that it cant
be to cold!

$$ Maybe it's not an aquatic turtle.

He eats and suns when I find him and put him back in the
pond, but he always ends up getting out and burying himself somewhere!

$$ That sounds like natural behavior for whatever type of turtle you have.
Why try and force unnatural behavior on it?

Right now I dont know where he went, he usually hides in the same two
spots but this time he changed it up to confuse me and I cant find him
anywhere. I dont want to fence in pond since I think that would be
unsightly,

$$ And probably cruel to this turtle. :-(

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 19-07-2005, 09:06 PM
kathy

Box turtles hang out in the garden.
They will paddle in the water and enjoy a
swim and sunbathe but are land dwellers.

I would leave the turtle to his hidey holes.

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ the rat-tail maggot!

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 19-07-2005, 11:19 PM
KerplunKuK

bbrown9506 wrote:
I have a few turtles in the pond, most stay put but I have one bigger
one who refuses to stay in the pond! I have found him about a dozen
times buried in my flower beds. ANyway why does he continue to do
this i know they hibernate but I would think since its summer that
it cant be to cold! He eats and suns when I find him and put him back
in the pond, but he always ends up getting out and burying himself
somewhere! Right now I dont know where he went, he usually hides in
the same two spots but this time he changed it up to confuse me and I
cant find him anywhere. I dont want to fence in pond since I think
that would be unsightly, but wondering if there is any keeping a
determined turtle to stay put? Any ideas apprciated--and I you know
where he might be hiding please let me know--lol

Are you sure it is a he? Female turtles bury eggs in soil. Are you sure
you do not have an expecting mother?
--
XBL : D0C RAY

We'll be Gunning for you

Old 19-07-2005, 11:31 PM
San Diego Joe

"bbrown9506" wrote:

I have a few turtles in the pond, most stay put but I have one bigger
one who refuses to stay in the pond! I have found him about a dozen
times buried in my flower beds. ANyway why does he continue to do this
i know they hibernate but I would think since its summer that it cant
be to cold! He eats and suns when I find him and put him back in the
pond, but he always ends up getting out and burying himself somewhere!
Right now I dont know where he went, he usually hides in the same two
spots but this time he changed it up to confuse me and I cant find him
anywhere. I dont want to fence in pond since I think that would be
unsightly, but wondering if there is any keeping a determined turtle to
stay put? Any ideas apprciated--and I you know where he might be hiding
please let me know--lol

I have a RES that routinely goes on walk about. My yard is fenced, so he
can't leave. He eventually just goes back to the pond. He could be looking
for a) a mate, b) a place to lay eggs or c) he likes to sightsee.

This is a water turtle you have right? I wouldn't worry too much, unless he
can leave your yard or if you have dogs. Dogs can do serious damage to a
turtle, fortunately, my mighty pack just barks their collective brains out
at him.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 20-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Lilly

You can Google around and find out information on your turtle. Once you
are aware of it's natural habits, you can determine if it's behavior is
normal. You may even find out you have a protected/red-listed species.
In that case, call your local wildlife department and let them know.
They keep tabs on these things.

FWIW, it's often illegal to bother wildlife. About the only time you're
allowed to touch them is to keep them out of harm's way. Say, keeping
them out of the street. I agree with Kathy, let turtle be turtle. I'm
pretty sure s/he knows how to take care of themselves.

Lilly

Old 21-07-2005, 09:12 PM
bbrown9506

He is a Red Eyed Slider Turtle just like the rest of my turtles! So yes
he is a water Turtle!

He (or she) could be pregnant but I dont think so since the other
turtles are barely half his/her side and one of the other two is a
baby! But maybe?

Anyway I found him again the other day, this time buried in my
Vegetable garden in with the corn! lol Anyway I showed him back to the
pond and then found him back in the garden a few hours later. Back he
goes to the pond, then this AM he decided to go back for a walk to his
old hideout in my shrubs! LOL

I know turtles hibernate when the water is to cold, but mine isnt right
now, hell its over 100 most days! The ground is bone dry so Im not sure
why he is doing what he is, or if hell be ok! I guess if he needed to
get back to the pond he would go! Maybe from now On when people want to
see my Big Turtle Ill point them to the Vegetable garden! LOl

Old 21-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Reel Mckoi

"bbrown9506" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

======================
It still sounds like unusual behavior for a slider. Keep us updated on
this turtle and his/her travels.

Old 22-07-2005, 01:06 AM
KerplunKuK

Reel Mckoi wrote:

It still sounds like unusual behavior for a slider. Keep us updated
on this turtle and his/her travels.

My sliders only ever leave to bask and to lay eggs. Are you sure he is a
he. Are you sure she is not pregnant, because you are disturbing her if she
is. Is he healthy, is his shell firm, do his eyes look clear etc
--
XBL : D0C RAY

We'll be Gunning for you

Old 22-07-2005, 02:32 AM
Reel Mckoi

"KerplunKuK" [dot]uk wrote in message
Reel Mckoi wrote:

It still sounds like unusual behavior for a slider. Keep us updated
on this turtle and his/her travels.

My sliders only ever leave to bask and to lay eggs. Are you sure he is a
he. Are you sure she is not pregnant, because you are disturbing her if

she
is. Is he healthy, is his shell firm, do his eyes look clear etc

============================
The problem with that is they lay their eggs and return right to the water.
They don't hang out on land for any length of time.

Old 22-07-2005, 03:47 AM
KerplunKuK

Reel Mckoi wrote:
============================
The problem with that is they lay their eggs and return right to the
water. They don't hang out on land for any length of time.

Is he/she being attacked and escaping? Maybe a vet visit is a good idea.
Are you 100% sure it is a RES?
--
XBL : D0C RAY

We'll be Gunning for you

Croscosmia MIA Jenny Gardening 6 04-06-2006 05:20 PM
Gayfeather MIA SueG Gardening 5 04-07-2003 02:32 PM
Outdoor turtle habitat Dave Bell Ponds 3 01-04-2003 12:44 AM
Turtle time Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 2 26-03-2003 09:56 PM
behold the turtle K30a Ponds 0 11-03-2003 06:58 PM