Old 20-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Bob Hobden

"Ros Butt" wrote ...
Many thanks for that Bob, I'd not heard of this, and had eliminated
spraing, as my books did have a picture. On having a 'google' round the
web I found several sites with pictures and descriptions which does indeed
point to this. (One site implied lack of calcium, and stress).
I had manured before planting as usual though.

I'll take your advice and find my tester & check the soil and take
necessary steps. Unfortunately I have used up all of this years compost,
but I'll look into what to do alternatively in advance, when next years
designated plot becomes free.

May be worth finding out where there is a good local source of well rotted
Horse Manure. Make sure you see it before buying though, you don't want any
straw showing. Compost is good but Horse muck is miles better/stronger.
Someone around here delivers a large trailer load for £15 a time and it's
beautiful stuff, at least a year old. Ask around your area you might find
the same.
--
Regards
Bob