Old 19-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Ros Butt

Default potato problem

My Home Guard first earlies have brown patches in the tubers. They have no
smell, and the potatoes are edible with the brown bits cut out. On the
outside they seem okay, until I start cutting them, (apart from some scab).

I am hoping it is not blight as the haulms seemed healthy, and I have read
that the tubers would be rotten and smelly, but I would be grateful for
ideas - could it be early blight? Actually- thinking about it - the first
plant I dug up did have blackening on the stem and one of the potatoes was
soft and smelled, but the rest have been as I have described

I have only one left to dig up now, but would be grateful for any help and
advice.

Thanks

Ros

Old 19-07-2005, 11:20 PM
Bob Hobden

"Ros Butt" wrote ...
My Home Guard first earlies have brown patches in the tubers. They have
no
smell, and the potatoes are edible with the brown bits cut out. On the
outside they seem okay, until I start cutting them, (apart from some
scab).

I am hoping it is not blight as the haulms seemed healthy, and I have read
that the tubers would be rotten and smelly, but I would be grateful for
ideas - could it be early blight? Actually- thinking about it - the first
plant I dug up did have blackening on the stem and one of the potatoes was
soft and smelled, but the rest have been as I have described

I have only one left to dig up now, but would be grateful for any help and
advice.

Blight normally doesn't arrive until much later, and as it's been so dry
this season (it's brought by the rain) I can't see that being your problem.
Often you do find a rotten and smelly spud, it's the one you planted.
Your problem could be "Potato Spraing" although that is normally in arcs
around the inside of the potato. We have had that and it's most frustrating
not being able to bake spuds or cook them whole as you can't see inside
until after they are cooked.
More likely is "Internal Rust Spot" which is not well known or understood.
Often worse on soils low in compost/manure I understand. Would be worth
getting your soil analysed as it may be low in potassium and may also need
some lime (to adjust the ph?).
Personally I would get next years spud plot well manured asap and limed too
and see if you have the same problem next year.
--
Regards
Bob

Old 20-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Ros Butt

Many thanks for that Bob, I'd not heard of this, and had eliminated
spraing, as my books did have a picture. On having a 'google' round the
web I found several sites with pictures and descriptions which does indeed
point to this. (One site implied lack of calcium, and stress).
I had manured before planting as usual though.

I'll take your advice and find my tester & check the soil and take
necessary steps. Unfortunately I have used up all of this years compost,
but I'll look into what to do alternatively in advance, when next years
designated plot becomes free.

Once again, many thanks

Ros

"Ros Butt" wrote ...
[...]

**remove fairies to reply via email**
Old 20-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Bob Hobden

"Ros Butt" wrote ...
Many thanks for that Bob, I'd not heard of this, and had eliminated
spraing, as my books did have a picture. On having a 'google' round the
web I found several sites with pictures and descriptions which does indeed
point to this. (One site implied lack of calcium, and stress).
I had manured before planting as usual though.

I'll take your advice and find my tester & check the soil and take
necessary steps. Unfortunately I have used up all of this years compost,
but I'll look into what to do alternatively in advance, when next years
designated plot becomes free.

May be worth finding out where there is a good local source of well rotted
Horse Manure. Make sure you see it before buying though, you don't want any
straw showing. Compost is good but Horse muck is miles better/stronger.
Someone around here delivers a large trailer load for £15 a time and it's
beautiful stuff, at least a year old. Ask around your area you might find
the same.