Old 20-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Peter Breed

Roy wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:55:49 -0700, ~ janj JJsPond.us
wrote:

===On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:38:28 GMT, Peter Breed wrote:
===
===I recently spotted a three 1 inch gold shubumkins and several other gold
===fish fry, in my pond. I guess these are product of my comets and
===shubumkins springtime activity.
===Anyway I was wondering about the best way of giving the little guys a
===good start in life and was considering buying an aquarium, where I have
===more control over their conditions and they can't be eaten by the
===parents etc.
===Is this a sensible idea or am I being too sentimental?
===Peter
===
===IME, they will do much better, be healthier, grow faster, sustain brighter
===colors by staying in the pond. ~ jan
===
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Leave em in the pond like janj says....theyw ill do much better. Its
amazing how much better any fish does outdoors in a more natural
environment than inside in even a perfectly setup aquarium....

The betta's and Guppys I keep outside all do much better, grow nicer
and faster than any we keep inside

"The original frugal ponder"

I know we are as a good 3-4 months from winter, but how big do the fry
have to get to survive 3-4 months at 4degC?
I should explain that I live in the UK, and although I didn't have more
than 1/2 an inch of ice last winter, my pond spends a good 5 months were
the water is too cold to feed the fish.
I apologise if I sound too fussy, but my pond is coming up for its first
anniversary, and I am chuffed to bits that the fish have managed to
breed in the pond's first year, and I guess I feel a bit paternal.