Old 19-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Peter Breed

Default Fry - Semi OT

I recently spotted a three 1 inch gold shubumkins and several other gold
fish fry, in my pond. I guess these are product of my comets and
shubumkins springtime activity.
Anyway I was wondering about the best way of giving the little guys a
good start in life and was considering buying an aquarium, where I have
more control over their conditions and they can't be eaten by the
parents etc.
Is this a sensible idea or am I being too sentimental?
Peter
Old 20-07-2005, 01:47 AM
Courageous

Is this a sensible idea or am I being too sentimental?

The aquarium will work fine, as long as you are aware that
the smaller the body of water, the more difficult to maintain.

As for your sentimentality, will you have too many fish once
these grow up? What will you do with them?

C//

Old 20-07-2005, 02:40 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Peter Breed" wrote in message
I recently spotted a three 1 inch gold shubumkins and several other gold
fish fry, in my pond. I guess these are product of my comets and
shubumkins springtime activity.
Anyway I was wondering about the best way of giving the little guys a
good start in life and was considering buying an aquarium, where I have
more control over their conditions and they can't be eaten by the
parents etc.
Is this a sensible idea or am I being too sentimental?
Peter

========================
At the size of 1" it's not likely the parents will eat them. Make sure the
parents are well fed. Also, the more you save the more you will need to
find homes for later on. Not all pet shops will take plain old goldfish.
In some areas too many people are trying to give them away. Fortunately I
am able to sell all my pretty fish. Most years this hobby is self
supporting. I give the culls away to people with stock ponds as I live in a
rural area.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 20-07-2005, 04:55 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:38:28 GMT, Peter Breed wrote:

I recently spotted a three 1 inch gold shubumkins and several other gold
fish fry, in my pond. I guess these are product of my comets and
shubumkins springtime activity.
Anyway I was wondering about the best way of giving the little guys a
good start in life and was considering buying an aquarium, where I have
more control over their conditions and they can't be eaten by the
parents etc.
Is this a sensible idea or am I being too sentimental?
Peter

IME, they will do much better, be healthier, grow faster, sustain brighter
colors by staying in the pond. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 20-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Roy

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:55:49 -0700, ~ janj JJsPond.us
wrote:

===On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:38:28 GMT, Peter Breed wrote:
===
===I recently spotted a three 1 inch gold shubumkins and several other gold
===fish fry, in my pond. I guess these are product of my comets and
===shubumkins springtime activity.
===Anyway I was wondering about the best way of giving the little guys a
===good start in life and was considering buying an aquarium, where I have
===more control over their conditions and they can't be eaten by the
===parents etc.
===Is this a sensible idea or am I being too sentimental?
===Peter
===
===IME, they will do much better, be healthier, grow faster, sustain brighter
===colors by staying in the pond. ~ jan
===
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Leave em in the pond like janj says....theyw ill do much better. Its
amazing how much better any fish does outdoors in a more natural
environment than inside in even a perfectly setup aquarium....

The betta's and Guppys I keep outside all do much better, grow nicer
and faster than any we keep inside

"The original frugal ponder"

Old 20-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Peter Breed

wrote:

[...]

I know we are as a good 3-4 months from winter, but how big do the fry
have to get to survive 3-4 months at 4degC?
I should explain that I live in the UK, and although I didn't have more
than 1/2 an inch of ice last winter, my pond spends a good 5 months were
the water is too cold to feed the fish.
I apologise if I sound too fussy, but my pond is coming up for its first
anniversary, and I am chuffed to bits that the fish have managed to
breed in the pond's first year, and I guess I feel a bit paternal.
Old 20-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Peter Breed" wrote in message
I know we are as a good 3-4 months from winter, but how big do the fry
have to get to survive 3-4 months at 4degC?
I should explain that I live in the UK, and although I didn't have more
than 1/2 an inch of ice last winter, my pond spends a good 5 months were
the water is too cold to feed the fish.
I apologise if I sound too fussy, but my pond is coming up for its first
anniversary, and I am chuffed to bits that the fish have managed to
breed in the pond's first year, and I guess I feel a bit paternal.

==================================
I've had fry live through the winter that were a mere 1 1/2 to 2" long. Our
winter also lasts about 5 months (zone 6 TN).

Old 20-07-2005, 11:15 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:57:59 GMT, Peter Breed wrote:

I know we are as a good 3-4 months from winter, but how big do the fry
have to get to survive 3-4 months at 4degC?
I should explain that I live in the UK, and although I didn't have more
than 1/2 an inch of ice last winter, my pond spends a good 5 months were
the water is too cold to feed the fish.
I apologise if I sound too fussy, but my pond is coming up for its first
anniversary, and I am chuffed to bits that the fish have managed to
breed in the pond's first year, and I guess I feel a bit paternal.

Not very big. When I close up the lily pond in Oct. I'll think I only have
a few babies in there. Come March, open it up and say, "Oh my, where'd you
all come from?" ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 21-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Andy

Peter Breed wrote:

I apologise if I sound too fussy, but my pond is coming up for its first
anniversary, and I am chuffed to bits that the fish have managed to
breed in the pond's first year, and I guess I feel a bit paternal.

Same here, my fish spawned in early summer. In all I've culled down to
about 20 nice fish. I had returned some of the fry to the pond as an
experiment and the other day I thought I spotted an inch long fish
briefly. Today I saw it again along with a couple of others but I also
spotted fry from at least two other spawnings - some were about 2/5th of
an inch, and others were newly hatched. The fry have completely safe
places to hang out so I reckon the pond is going to be seriously over
stocked and I'll need to find some homes for the little guys at the end
of the summer.

--
Andy
Old 22-07-2005, 10:04 PM
ClaudCar

and where or how exactly does one find homes for all the GF offspring. My
neighbor and I have counted about 4 generations, 18 total in 400 gals. How
many is too many - already gave away 2 black and 1 gold, which are all gold
at her pond and my big blacks turned gold. what about GF birth control?
____________________________
Claudia
Totus Tuus

Old 22-07-2005, 10:36 PM
Reel Mckoi

"ClaudCar" wrote in message
and where or how exactly does one find homes for all the GF offspring.

** This can be a problem. There's a store that purchases most of my pretty
fish. The culls go to farmers for their stock ponds. Leave messages in
Laundromats, K-Marts and Wal*Mart stores. People will call.

My
neighbor and I have counted about 4 generations, 18 total in 400 gals.

How
many is too many - already gave away 2 black and 1 gold, which are all

gold
at her pond and my big blacks turned gold. what about GF birth control?

** You can sex them in the spring and get rid of one sex or the other.

Old 23-07-2005, 07:17 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:04:49 -0700, "ClaudCar" wrote:

and where or how exactly does one find homes for all the GF offspring.

I, too, have a local fish store that will take them for store credit.

neighbor and I have counted about 4 generations, 18 total in 400 gals. How
many is too many - already gave away 2 black and 1 gold, which are all gold
at her pond and my big blacks turned gold. what about GF birth control?

What is working at the D.pond is not feeding them, or feeding them very,
very little. I saw a lady up there the other day tossing some fish food she
brought from home. Judging by the reaction of the fish, apparently she
isn't the only one, as she said she only visits about once/month. They were
coming up to the surface to eat in no time flat. So it wasn't new to them.
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 03-08-2005, 07:19 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

HI, I am new to pond keeping and also to this site. My pond is one year
old and we have just found goldfish fry maybe half a centimetre, are
they going to be big enough to survive winter in UK.

Very likely. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~