Old 22-07-2005, 06:55 AM
sherwindu

Just to set the record straight, some fruit trees are definitely not self-fertile, and
cannot produce fruit unless their is a suitable polinizer in the area. Other varieties
of fruit are self fertile to greater or lesser degrees. As you correctly stated, having
a second tree adds to the effectivity of pollination, even if it is self-fertile. It can
get quite complicated, as some varieties of fruit trees are not able to pollinate other
specific varieties. Also, some varieties can do a better job of pollinating other
varieties. The main requirement is that for pollination, varieties must be in the
same genetic family. Plums won't pollinate apples, etc. What does best for a
particular variety is usually found in catalogs, books, or from other horticultural sources.

Sherwin D.

Travis wrote:

Mike wrote:
"Connecticut" wrote in message
oups.com...
Will my Sour Cherry tree polinate a Sweet Cherry tree?

This is something I really don't understand. Fruit and vegetable
trees have to have a second proximate tree of the right gender to
bloom? For instance, I have two pineapple plants and one avocado
tree. How would I find their gender?

Btw Dad, can I take out the car tonight?

What vegetables grow on trees?

Fruit trees have no gender. Pollination is just better with some fruit
trees if there is another tree of the same kind but different variety.

Does not even have to be a different variety. This may sound strange,
but it may be due to just having increased pollen around.

Holly (Ilex) trees have gender. Kiwi vines have gender. I am sure
there are others.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5