Old 19-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Connecticut

Default FRUIT TREE POLINATING

Will my Sour Cherry tree polinate a Sweet Cherry tree?

Old 20-07-2005, 07:20 AM
sherwindu

Hi in Connecticut from the Heartland,
Genetically there is no problem here. However, these trees do not produce blossoms at the same
time, and that may be the limitation.

Sherwin D.

Old 21-07-2005, 05:26 AM
sherwindu

Hi again,
Another thought. There are at least three well known sweet cherries (Stella is one)
on the market, which are self-pollinating.

Sherwin D.

Old 21-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Mike

"Connecticut" wrote in message
oups.com...
Will my Sour Cherry tree polinate a Sweet Cherry tree?

This is something I really don't understand. Fruit and vegetable trees have
to have a second proximate tree of the right gender to bloom? For instance,
I have two pineapple plants and one avocado tree. How would I find their
gender?

Btw Dad, can I take out the car tonight?

Old 21-07-2005, 07:49 PM

This link will take you to all the pollination info you ever wanted and
then some.

http://www.beeculture.com/content/pollination_handbook/

Insect Pollination Of Cultivated Crop Plants
by S.E. McGregor, USDA
Originally published 1976

Old 21-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Travis

Mike wrote:
"Connecticut" wrote in message
oups.com...
Will my Sour Cherry tree polinate a Sweet Cherry tree?

This is something I really don't understand. Fruit and vegetable
trees have to have a second proximate tree of the right gender to
bloom? For instance, I have two pineapple plants and one avocado
tree. How would I find their gender?

Btw Dad, can I take out the car tonight?

What vegetables grow on trees?

Fruit trees have no gender. Pollination is just better with some fruit
trees if there is another tree of the same kind but different variety.

Holly (Ilex) trees have gender. Kiwi vines have gender. I am sure
there are others.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 22-07-2005, 06:55 AM
sherwindu

Just to set the record straight, some fruit trees are definitely not self-fertile, and
cannot produce fruit unless their is a suitable polinizer in the area. Other varieties
of fruit are self fertile to greater or lesser degrees. As you correctly stated, having
a second tree adds to the effectivity of pollination, even if it is self-fertile. It can
get quite complicated, as some varieties of fruit trees are not able to pollinate other
specific varieties. Also, some varieties can do a better job of pollinating other
varieties. The main requirement is that for pollination, varieties must be in the
same genetic family. Plums won't pollinate apples, etc. What does best for a
particular variety is usually found in catalogs, books, or from other horticultural sources.

Sherwin D.

Travis wrote:

Mike wrote:
"Connecticut" wrote in message
oups.com...
Will my Sour Cherry tree polinate a Sweet Cherry tree?

This is something I really don't understand. Fruit and vegetable
trees have to have a second proximate tree of the right gender to
bloom? For instance, I have two pineapple plants and one avocado
tree. How would I find their gender?

Btw Dad, can I take out the car tonight?

What vegetables grow on trees?

Fruit trees have no gender. Pollination is just better with some fruit
trees if there is another tree of the same kind but different variety.

Does not even have to be a different variety. This may sound strange,
but it may be due to just having increased pollen around.

Old 24-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...

http://www.beeculture.com/content/pollination_handbook/

Nb, since it has no pineapple section, I went back over my Hi Coop. Ext.
fact sheet (Dale O. Evans et al., 1988) and will reproduce parts here in
hopes of further clarification.

~
Description - Pineapple is a perennial herb 50 to 100cm high. It has narrow
tapering, pointed leaves up to 100cm long arranged in a spiral rosette,
crowded on and tightly clasping a central stem. Leaf margins are usually
but not always spiny. The inflorescence consists of 100 to 200 flowers
arranged in a compact spiral cluster. The flowers are perfect, with a
floral bract, three short fleshy sepals and petals, six stamens, and an
inferior ovary with three locules. Commercial clones are self sterile but
cross easily with plants outside their varietal group. The fruit is a
terminal, cylindrical, compound structure at the apex of the stem and is
formed by the fusion of the berrylike fruitlets that develop from the
flowers.

Propagation - Pineapple is propagated asexually from various plant parts.

Cultural practices - forcing (fruition) - The growth regulator most commonly
used for forcing is ethephon (C2H6NO), an ethylene releasing compound that
is widely used for field application. Ethylene and acetylene are also used
for forcing.

Fertilization regime - Kg/hectac Urea 22.0 - Potassium nitrate
(alternatively potassium sulfate or ammonium sulfate) 22.0 - Iron sulfate
1.5 - Zinc sulfate 0.5 - Magnesium sulfate 2.75.
~

So pineapple are hermaphrodites; I think I would have to take a magnifying
glass to see, though.

I doesn't say anything about (nor have I ever seen) bees, wind or bird
pollination.

The two I have are father-son, or of the same type. There are commercial
fields at, I would say, a thousand yards away.

I know there is a lot of Iron in molasses, but where would one get,
preferably naturally, such chemicals as ethephone and potassium as well as,
zinc and magnesium?