Old 22-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Kay

In article , and-rea and-
writes

Hi all
I'm a beginning gardener. I have a newly planted (June) fuscia and I
want to plant a lavender next to it. I've heard lavender can be quite
aggressive - will it choke out the fuscia?
Any advice for a gardening newbie would be gratefully received.

Lavender can be pruned, so you will be able to keep it away from your
fuchsia.

Is your fuchsia a hardy one? If not, you will need to dig it up in the
autumn and overwinter indoors (or, more simply, take some cuttings from
it)

Lavender and fuchsia are from different habitats. Lavender is a
mediterranean plant, liking lots of sun and well drained soil. Fuchsias
don't like full sun, and like damper conditions - they grow well in the
west Country and in the W of ireland. Both will tolerate a wide range of
conditions, but which of them will do best will depend on where you've
planted them. If it's scorching hot and very well drained, your fuchsia
won't be as happy, if it's wetter, your lavender may struggle in the
winter.
--
Kay