Old 22-07-2005, 07:19 AM
Registered User

Default is lavender aggressive?

Hi all
I'm a beginning gardener. I have a newly planted (June) fuscia and I want to plant a lavender next to it. I've heard lavender can be quite aggressive - will it choke out the fuscia?
Any advice for a gardening newbie would be gratefully received.
Old 22-07-2005, 09:55 AM
H Ryder

I've heard lavender can be quite aggressive - will it choke out the fuscia?

There are lots of different types of lavender. There are dwarf varieties
which will not get that big, French ones (the ones with little "tufty bits"
at teh top of the flowers) which do not tend to like it to get too cold in
the winter and "normal" ones. You can prune all of them by cutting them back
after they have flowered but do not cut into the dead wood (i.e. the bottoms
of the stalks where there are no fresh leaves) as these will never regroup.
Hayley

Old 22-07-2005, 10:36 AM
BAC

"and-rea" wrote in message

Hi all
I'm a beginning gardener. I have a newly planted (June) fuscia and I
want to plant a lavender next to it. I've heard lavender can be quite
aggressive - will it choke out the fuscia?
Any advice for a gardening newbie would be gratefully received.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I do grow both lavenders and hardy
fuscias. I shouldn't worry about your problem until you know whether your
particular fuscia and lavender specimens are going to thrive, survive or
fail in your chosen location. If you are very fortunate, and both
thrive/survive, and your fuscia fails to hold its own, you can always cut
the lavender back, if the fuscia's display merits it (otherwise, move the
fuscia and enjoy the lavender).

Old 22-07-2005, 09:37 PM
Kay

In article , Shirl
writes
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:24:39 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , and-rea and-
writes

Hi all
I'm a beginning gardener. I have a newly planted (June) fuscia and I
want to plant a lavender next to it. I've heard lavender can be quite
aggressive - will it choke out the fuscia?
Any advice for a gardening newbie would be gratefully received.

Lavender can be pruned, so you will be able to keep it away from your
fuchsia.

Is your fuchsia a hardy one? If not, you will need to dig it up in the
autumn and overwinter indoors (or, more simply, take some cuttings from
it)

Is it OK to take cuttings from fuschias now - I thought it was in the
spring. I bought three plants from a garden show and was thingking of
taking cuttings just in case they did not survivie over winter. But
having reading various artilces thought I was took late

No, you're still OK. Fuchsias are one of the easiest things to root, so
you don't have to worry too much about whetehr or not it's the right
time.
--
Kay