Old 22-07-2005, 04:41 PM
K Barrett

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:34:53 -0700, "K Barrett"
wrote:

Well bulbophyllums are my next group to be tackled. I've repotted ny

Catts
and paphs and masds. Leaving the Bulbos and the miscs to be repotted

next.

So just *WHAT* is it with bulbos??????? I've tried wet . moss.

bark......
they just linger for me. Talk about ticking me off!!!

Bill Thoms says to put them on treefern (horizontal) in 1/4 inch of

standing
water... pfft! Nada. No new growth much less blooms. So I put them on
bark and/or s moss in clay & nada: no new growths or blooms....... so

WHAT
do they want??? God they **** me off!!!!

Best result I've gotten is high light in baskets with dry moss and I

thinK
they bloom just before they expire... which doesn't get me anywhere

fast.

Arrgh!!!!!!!!

K Barrett

Part of the problem is there are different requirements for
different ones. Some grow suspended in baskets of moss under the
Ascda's - These are 3/4 shade and very moist. Others like B.
lobbii 'Kathy's Gold' grow on the slab and would probably be
happier on a horizontal mat slab - but the mount area is
vertical. I have 2 that have gone adventurous and grown into the
upright on the mount wall. Humidity above 75% and the wall gets
misted when the floor does to raise the humidity or cool the
place. These may have a bit more light.

Cirr. I have in pots and in epi light. The problem is all these
plants ramble and are hard to contain.
SuE

SuE, so how do you figure out their cultural conditions? Start at Jay's
page? I figured the problem was that I was trying to grow a disparate group
in one condition when in reality they want many different conditions, but am
stymied as to how to proceed to figure them out.

I have 'Kathy's Gold' in moss and clay and that seems to be going OK. I
have a medusae that's going OK too. B echinolabium is so-so in treefern and
plastic. sikkimense is going well on an upright moss slab.

Bicolor is lingering. ovalifoma is lingering, blumei is lingering.
fascinator, thses are mostly in teak baskets with moss. or upright slabs.

Grrr

K Barrett