Old 22-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Laura

Move the cannas now if you like. I've moved cannas in the heat several
times. Don't worry about keeping dirt around the roots when you move them.
Cut off the top growth. Also, you can use this as an opportunity to divide
the rhizomes if you want to. As long as you keep them well-watered until
they settle into their new location, they'll do fine.

I've also moved amaryllis in the heat, earlier this summer, in fact. (It
wasn't my choice to move them during the summer; they were my mother's and
their move was necessitated by some other work she was having done at her
house.) They survived the move, but some of them temporarily went dormant -
from having their roots disturbed, I guess. They've all resprouted and are
growing; hopefully they will have fully replenished their reserves before
they go dormant this fall. I am anxiously awaiting next spring to see if
they have the energy to bloom well - or at all.

If you decide to move the amaryllis now, be really careful to keep most of
the roots and soil surrounding them intact (they have a very large root
system when they are in active growth), and maintain regular watering until
you're sure they've recovered from the move. Also, I learned that the leaves
are surprisingly easy to break - be careful handling them.

If possible, though, I'd wait until they go dormant this fall to move them.
It'll be a lot easier to move the bulbs without worrying about the leaves or
root system. When they are dormant, you can also safely remove any daughter
bulbs from the main bulbs and plant them separately - bingo, more amaryllis!
Also, by waiting until they are naturally dormant, you won't run the risk of
reducing or eliminating next year's blooms.

Daylilies are also tough to kill. Just use reasonable care. Try to keep a
lot of dirt around their roots and don't let the roots dry out. Water
regularly after you move them. But if you wait until fall you would have the
option of dividing them as you moved them; I don't think I'd risk dividing
them during the heat of summer - too much stress on the plants.

I don't have a clue about the dianthus or carnations; I've never grown them.

Supposedly Butterfly Bushes are next to impossible to kill, but I may just
manage it - the two I planted this spring aren't doing well at all. Don't
take any advice I give regarding Butterfly Bushes. :-)

Laura

"junkyardcat" wrote in message
I've decided to redo the butterfly garden, but I don't want to kill any
flowers that are growing in it right now. I have Cannas, Daylillies,
Amaryllis, Dianthus, Carnations, and a Butterfly Bush in it right now. The
Canna, Dianthus, Carnation, and butterfly bush are the only things
blooming
right now. Can I safely dig them up and transplant them somewhere else? Or
should I wait until Fall when they are no longer blooming?

Thanks!
Angie