Old 23-07-2005, 02:00 AM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:41:43 -0700, "K Barrett"
wrote:
SuE, so how do you figure out their cultural conditions? Start at Jay's
page? I figured the problem was that I was trying to grow a disparate group
in one condition when in reality they want many different conditions, but am
stymied as to how to proceed to figure them out.

I have 'Kathy's Gold' in moss and clay and that seems to be going OK. I
have a medusae that's going OK too. B echinolabium is so-so in treefern and
plastic. sikkimense is going well on an upright moss slab.

Bicolor is lingering. ovalifoma is lingering, blumei is lingering.
fascinator, thses are mostly in teak baskets with moss. or upright slabs.

Grrr

K Barrett

My problem has been light or shade. Our Gh runs around 80%
humidity -- I should check today. Outside we have had 104
degrees and 12% humidity. It is fire season if the rains from
Emily don't come north.

I mostly hang them on the less sunny side of the taller Ascda's
and look for light leaves. If I see them I move them down into
more shade. I have grown them as they were purchased except to
try to figure out the light. Fascinator takes quite a bit of
sun, my teak basket came apart so I will be re-basketing this
one. Kathy gold is on a mount of oak bark on a shelf and leaning
against the back wall below the mounts. This is fairly shady. My
medusae has not bloomed. Mostly I would suggest mounts if you
have a 'wet wall' and baskets of moss or bulb pan's so they can
ramble. The fool things like to send runners out to the next
spot they decide to colonize. This does not make for happy pots.
I rather gave up on a standard orchid pot style. They want
surface area that they can spread over. That is why mounts are
so good. We have seen several grown on a bark mount that was
held flat, parallel to the ground. This gives them the room to
roam without the vertical challenge.

SuE