Old 23-07-2005, 12:09 AM
kathy

Being that you are in Southern California,
you've probably got Pacific Chorus Frogs,
they live all up and down the coastal states,
we have them here in the SE corner of
Washington state and in my Frog Bog.
They go from taddie to froglet and then head
for the trees, you probably won't see much of
them again until next spring.

I also have a bullfrog (and a tadpole that came
in a bag of water hyacinth).

Bullfrogs are not native west of the Rockies but
they are here to stay, have been for about the
last 100 years (they came in as dinner menu
items and escaped).

You can tell Bullfrogs by the fold of skin that
starts behind the eye and folds around the
eardrum.
They will eat fish, other frogs, snakes, mice,
birds so when they get bigger sometimes folks
like to remove them.

The one in my pond is not going anywhere. She
flummoxed two teenage boys and deserves to
stay. I've had up to seven in the pond and they
did keep the infant fish from taking over.

How many frogs... well, keep in mind that frogs
are in the food chain so they will get eaten along
the way and they will hop away to greener ponds,
so just put in what you want to enjoy and see what
happens.

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ shoot the heron?

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~