Old 17-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Peter Charles Fagg

Default OT Chestnuts.

As a youngster I used to go across the lane to pick up chestnuts then roast
them on a shovel in the fire.........
Now I go down the road to Tesco and cook them in the
microwave.....Progress???????

David, I am no youngster but am still roasting them the selfsame way.
As in the initial posting, unfortunately it appears that the imported
varieties are stored for too long before sale. I have just been
reading the magazine "Tree News" published by "The Tree Council" and
the storage recommended by that august body would probably retain both
flavour and cooking ability if adhered to in it's entirety. They
might also start growing but that could be regarded as a plus!!! If
you or anyone else hears on the grapevine or elsewhere about mail
order I would be most appreciative.