Old 14-11-2002, 07:28 PM
Peter Charles Fagg

Default OT Chestnuts.

I apologise for using the gardening NG for this but am unsure where
else I could do so. Does anyone know of a mail order supplier of
good, fresh as possible, English Chestnuts? My local shop only
supplies Spanish and they taste horrible! I live on the Isle of Wight
and mature trees are few and far between!
Old 14-11-2002, 10:56 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Peter wrote in message ...
I apologise for using the gardening NG for this but am unsure where
else I could do so. Does anyone know of a mail order supplier of
good, fresh as possible, English Chestnuts? My local shop only
supplies Spanish and they taste horrible! I live on the Isle of Wight
and mature trees are few and far between!

Even the biggest ones I've picked up in Windsor Great Park are still smaller
than those in the shops, perhaps that's why you can't find any for sale.
Still edible though.

--
Bob
http://www.pooleygreengrowers.org.uk/ about an allotment site

Old 15-11-2002, 01:09 PM
Edwin Spector

I picked up French ones from (I think) Safeways. Could have been Sainsbury's
though. Or Asda... Don't know if they're any better than Spaninsh.

Edwin
Bath.
-----------

Old 15-11-2002, 02:02 PM
david

As a youngster I used to go across the lane to pick up chestnuts then roast
them on a shovel in the fire.........
Now I go down the road to Tesco and cook them in the
microwave.....Progress???????
--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 17-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Peter Charles Fagg

As a youngster I used to go across the lane to pick up chestnuts then roast
them on a shovel in the fire.........
Now I go down the road to Tesco and cook them in the
microwave.....Progress???????

David, I am no youngster but am still roasting them the selfsame way.
As in the initial posting, unfortunately it appears that the imported
varieties are stored for too long before sale. I have just been
reading the magazine "Tree News" published by "The Tree Council" and
the storage recommended by that august body would probably retain both
flavour and cooking ability if adhered to in it's entirety. They
might also start growing but that could be regarded as a plus!!! If
you or anyone else hears on the grapevine or elsewhere about mail
order I would be most appreciative.

Old 17-11-2002, 09:33 PM
david

If you or anyone else hears on the grapevine or elsewhere about mail order
I would be most appreciative.

?????????
Mail order what???

If you are thinking of growing Sweet Chestnuts, then You can grow from the
ones they sell in the shops. I have done so several times

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Why do chestnuts trees have sticky buds ? Mick United Kingdom 2 18-02-2004 10:33 PM
Chestnuts Camilla Peake United Kingdom 1 17-10-2003 05:22 PM
Preserving chestnuts Izaak United Kingdom 2 21-09-2003 10:03 AM
how do you process chestnuts? pete johnson Plant Biology 3 14-09-2003 03:27 AM
Chestnuts - any use for anything? Ger United Kingdom 3 24-11-2002 01:49 PM