Old 23-07-2005, 07:36 AM
G Burton

Thank you!

"Travis" wrote in message
news:THjEe.645$Eo3.33@trnddc08...
G Burton wrote:
I live in zone 14, about 70 miles east, northeast of San
Francisco.
"Travis" wrote in message
G Burton wrote:
I live in zone 14. I have a lilac that has a lot of
sentimental value to me, but I can't seem to make it healthy. I'm
thinking that I'm either over-watering or under-watering,
but I don't know which. Here is what I see:

I'm getting satisfactory growth in height (it's now about 6
ft high now), but the leaves are curling inward, getting
brittle, losing their green color, and getting some brownish
spots. Leaves near the ground on the younger branches are
doing fairly well. Some of the canes were so badly damaged last
year that they did not leaf out this year. The lilac bloomed
for the first time this spring, but I only got two flowers, and
they didn't last long Last year, my symptoms were similar. I
concluded that I was
under-watering. I was giving it a little over 2 gallons per
week, and I increased the dose to 3 gallons per week. Now I
increased it again to about 4 gallons per week -- watering
twice a week. There is some moisture in the soil, but it is
definitely not wet. I give it Master Start fertilizer, and sometimes
0-10-10
instead. I fertilize every 6 weeks.

Some of the lilac gets sun all day, and some of it very
little. The average is probably about 6 hours of sun per day. I can't
be sure whether or not the damage is related to which
sections get more sun. However, I can say that last year's
damage seemed to occur mostly in the shady areas. This year's
damage is higher up and more in the sunlight.

Please help me if you can. My grandmother always had a
lilac, and I keep in remembrance of her.

Please stop posting in HTML.

Knowing where you are would help.

Lilacs do best in full sun.

After the first or second year they usually require no
supplemental watering. They do not require fertilizer. They
like an alkaline soil. They do best in parts of the country that
have a winter. --

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

That would be Sunset zone 14.

If all the other conditions I mentioned are present Lilacs should do well
where you are.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5