Old 23-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Bob Hobden

"Tim Tyler" wrote
Two of my garlic plants seem to have buds on them.

I've tried eating the buds - they are great stuff - an amazing way to
experience garlic.

One of the buds has dropped - and I doubt the other will go much
further. These things look like minature garlic bulbs - and look
like they may be "intended" to hit the ground without flowering -
interesting for me if so; I didn't know alliums engaged in that
sort of strawberry-style reproduction.

This page calls these things "bulbil"s:

http://www.killerplants.com/weird-plants/20050421.asp

Does anyone else have bulbils on their garlic?

Yes, did have, I've often wondered if you could plant them and get garlic
the next year but haven't bothered to try.
Our Garlic has been hanging in our garage for a few weeks now.

--
Regards
Bob