Old 23-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Tim Tyler

Default Garlic bulbils

Two of my garlic plants seem to have buds on them.

I've tried eating the buds - they are great stuff - an amazing way to
experience garlic.

One of the buds has dropped - and I doubt the other will go much
further. These things look like minature garlic bulbs - and look
like they may be "intended" to hit the ground without flowering -
interesting for me if so; I didn't know alliums engaged in that
sort of strawberry-style reproduction.

This page calls these things "bulbil"s:

http://www.killerplants.com/weird-plants/20050421.asp

Does anyone else have bulbils on their garlic?
--
__________
Old 23-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Bob Hobden

"Tim Tyler" wrote
Two of my garlic plants seem to have buds on them.

I've tried eating the buds - they are great stuff - an amazing way to
experience garlic.

One of the buds has dropped - and I doubt the other will go much
further. These things look like minature garlic bulbs - and look
like they may be "intended" to hit the ground without flowering -
interesting for me if so; I didn't know alliums engaged in that
sort of strawberry-style reproduction.

This page calls these things "bulbil"s:

http://www.killerplants.com/weird-plants/20050421.asp

Does anyone else have bulbils on their garlic?

Yes, did have, I've often wondered if you could plant them and get garlic
the next year but haven't bothered to try.
Our Garlic has been hanging in our garage for a few weeks now.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 23-07-2005, 11:52 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Tim Tyler contains these words:

Two of my garlic plants seem to have buds on them.

I've tried eating the buds - they are great stuff - an amazing way to
experience garlic.

One of the buds has dropped - and I doubt the other will go much
further. These things look like minature garlic bulbs - and look
like they may be "intended" to hit the ground without flowering -
interesting for me if so; I didn't know alliums engaged in that
sort of strawberry-style reproduction.

This page calls these things "bulbil"s:

http://www.killerplants.com/weird-plants/20050421.asp

Does anyone else have bulbils on their garlic?

That sounds more like another member of the onion family, oftenn
grown for culinary purposes or in the herb garden, aka walking-onion or
Egyptian onion. Eventually the bulbs at the end of the stem bend down to
earth and root. Slowly, the plant advances across the garden that
way.They don't taste like garlic.

Janet

Old 24-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:35:51 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

Two of my garlic plants seem to have buds on them.

I've tried eating the buds - they are great stuff - an amazing way to
experience garlic.

One of the buds has dropped - and I doubt the other will go much
further. These things look like minature garlic bulbs - and look
like they may be "intended" to hit the ground without flowering -
interesting for me if so; I didn't know alliums engaged in that
sort of strawberry-style reproduction.

This page calls these things "bulbil"s:

http://www.killerplants.com/weird-plants/20050421.asp

Does anyone else have bulbils on their garlic?

Yes, some of mine does that, and I have sown them, with a lot of very
fine leaves appearing. They would certainly grow into usable garlic
with patience and care.
There is a menace of a wild onion which grows around here which
spreads in this way. It is almost impossible to eradicate. The bulb
splits up like garlic does, and the head makes loads of bulbils.
http://flood.nhm.ac.uk/cgi-bin/fff/g...raNo%5D=424100

Pam in Bristol

Garlic Bulbils for the Adventurous Gary Woods Edible Gardening 0 29-09-2010 04:30 PM
Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
where to store bulbils simy1 Edible Gardening 4 17-07-2005 07:54 PM
Speaking of garlic... John S. DeBoo Edible Gardening 4 29-05-2003 10:20 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM