Old 24-07-2005, 04:41 AM
B & J

"Travis" wrote in message
news:b2wEe.1303$9y3.889@trnddc06...
mleblanca wrote:
Agreed, Glossy abelia (Abelia X grandiflora) is a great flowering
shrub. Most people don't even realize it has such lovely blooms,
because they shear it into a meatball! Butterflies and hummers
love it, and it has a lovely scent.
I'm surprised it makes it in zone 6 winter. I thought it only hardy
to zone 7.
Even when it is not in flower, the pink calyces give it the look of
still being in bloom.

Emilie
NorCal

Abelia X grandiflora is not Potentilla.

Of course, the glossy abelia is not a potentilla. Someone asked the question
about a shrub that flowered most of the summer, and I replied that the
glossy abelia was an excellent choice in zone 6. BTW, both the white and
pink varieties perform well in zone 6, northern AR. The white variety has no
aroma that I can discern, but the pink variety has an incredible aroma. It's
not as potent as the korena spice viburnum or the mock orange, but then they
only flower in the spring.

JPS