Old 16-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Ben Tuinman

Default Advise potentilla shrub

We have one in our garden, with mixed results from year to year. Its blooms
are white, and it seems to flower in abundance early in the season .
However, in previous years it stops blooming after its first display, with
only an occasional flower showing here and there....How should I care for
this attractive shrub in order for it to bloom throughout the summer. We are
in zone 5, and the shrub is in a semi sunny location. Right now it is in
full bloom, but I fear for a repeat performance. Much obliged ! Ben

Old 16-06-2005, 11:05 PM
David Bockman

"Ben Tuinman" wrote in
:

We have one in our garden, with mixed results from year to year. Its
blooms are white, and it seems to flower in abundance early in the
season . However, in previous years it stops blooming after its first
display, with only an occasional flower showing here and there....How
should I care for this attractive shrub in order for it to bloom
throughout the summer. We are in zone 5, and the shrub is in a semi
sunny location. Right now it is in full bloom, but I fear for a repeat
performance. Much obliged ! Ben

Hi Ben,

Potentilla is a shrub which enjoys blazing hot sun, poor, chalky soil, and
minimal watering.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums
Old 30-06-2005, 07:38 AM
Suzy O

Potentilla blooms like crazy when it's in flower, but like most perennials,
it doesn't flower throughout the summer. If you prune out the flowers on
some perennials, you can get a second bloom, though it's usually sparser and
smaller blooms than the first time around.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything perennial that reliably
blooms throughout the summer, other than some roses.

What zone are you in, by the way??

Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin

. ..

Old 01-07-2005, 04:58 AM
B & J

"Suzy O" wrote in message
Potentilla blooms like crazy when it's in flower, but like most
perennials,
it doesn't flower throughout the summer. If you prune out the flowers on
some perennials, you can get a second bloom, though it's usually sparser
and
smaller blooms than the first time around.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything perennial that reliably
blooms throughout the summer, other than some roses.

What zone are you in, by the way??

Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin

How about the glossy abelia, either pink or white? Mine start blooming in
May and don't quit flowering until weather becomes chilly in the fall. As a
bonus, the abelia is very drought tolerant once established, is not a rapid
grower, and is not bothered by bugs or fungus. It often holds it leaves
during mild winters. (zone 6) It's not a show stopper but is quite
attractive with its modest, bell-shaped flowers.

JPS

Old 06-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Suzy O

"B & J" wrote in message

"Suzy O" wrote in message
[...]

Got me on that one! Have never seen of it around these parts. Don't think
it's reliably hardy in zone 5. For all season bloom, we usually wind up
with tender perennials, boo hoo.

Suzy O

Old 23-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Kathryn Irving

I have a red potentilla and it grows very long and is uncontrollable, and is
mediocre in terms of flowers. Anyone have any ideas on how to tame this
thing?

Old 23-07-2005, 05:43 AM
mleblanca

Agreed, Glossy abelia (Abelia X grandiflora) is a great flowering
shrub. Most people don't even realize it has such lovely blooms,
because they shear it into a meatball! Butterflies and hummers love
it, and it has a lovely scent.
I'm surprised it makes it in zone 6 winter. I thought it only hardy to
zone 7.
Even when it is not in flower, the pink calyces give it the look of
still being in bloom.

Emilie
NorCal

Old 23-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Travis

mleblanca wrote:
Agreed, Glossy abelia (Abelia X grandiflora) is a great flowering
shrub. Most people don't even realize it has such lovely blooms,
because they shear it into a meatball! Butterflies and hummers
love it, and it has a lovely scent.
I'm surprised it makes it in zone 6 winter. I thought it only hardy
to zone 7.
Even when it is not in flower, the pink calyces give it the look of
still being in bloom.

Emilie
NorCal

Abelia X grandiflora is not Potentilla.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 24-07-2005, 04:41 AM
B & J

"Travis" wrote in message
mleblanca wrote:
Agreed, Glossy abelia (Abelia X grandiflora) is a great flowering
shrub. Most people don't even realize it has such lovely blooms,
because they shear it into a meatball! Butterflies and hummers
love it, and it has a lovely scent.
I'm surprised it makes it in zone 6 winter. I thought it only hardy
to zone 7.
Even when it is not in flower, the pink calyces give it the look of
still being in bloom.

Emilie
NorCal

Abelia X grandiflora is not Potentilla.

Of course, the glossy abelia is not a potentilla. Someone asked the question
about a shrub that flowered most of the summer, and I replied that the
glossy abelia was an excellent choice in zone 6. BTW, both the white and
pink varieties perform well in zone 6, northern AR. The white variety has no
aroma that I can discern, but the pink variety has an incredible aroma. It's
not as potent as the korena spice viburnum or the mock orange, but then they
only flower in the spring.

JPS