Old 19-11-2002, 07:01 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Need electric self propelled lawnmower

"Doddles" wrote in
news
We have a small London back garden with about 40 minutes worth
of grass to cut. We want to do it ourselves as long as we can.
The Flymo is becoming too hard for us to manage. Is there such
a thing as a small electric self propelled lawn mower? If so
where would they be sold?

I looked for a rotary one of these for ages this spring, but no luck.
There was, I seem to recall, a small electric powered cylinder mower
available at the time - they had them in Homebase, so probably fairly
widely available, though I tried lifting one, and the extra motor did make
them relatively heavy.

In the end I got a small Qualcast Easytrak 32 instead (wheels, but not
powered). Found it was much, much easier to push than my horrible old
Flymo - you might want to try a garden machinery shop or something and see
how heavy you find these small unpowered machines, if the automated systems
aren't suitable.

I wanted one because I have very sloping lawns and steps to lug the mower
up and down, so wanted one I could lift with one hand and require no effort
to push - the one I bought fulfils the first criterion, and almost the
second one.

--
Victoria Clare
gardening high up in South East Cornwall