Old 20-11-2002, 05:13 PM
trevor.appleton

Default Non-sprouting garlic

planted mine in pots in a polytunnel last w/e to plant out once they shoot
to a couple or three inches, proably February. Why pots? Only because I
haven't had time to prepare any ground in the veg patch.

Trevor Appleton

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message ...
In message ,
writes
"Druss" wrote:

I remember reading somewhere, the old fashioned idea that you plant

garlic
on the shortest day and harvest it ont he longest.

It's just that, and for most people, wrong.

Yep, late December is way to late, either earlier or later on in late
winter. And late June is early for most varieties for harvesting.
(though it of course depends where this saying hails from.

Plant 6-8 weeks before the ground freezes, late autumn if the ground

never
freezes, but some hardneck varieties will not do well in mild winters.
Harvest when half the leaves have turned brown, or when the bulb is fully
filled out. Pros cut a sample in half horizontally from time to time to

be
sure.

You're better off if the garlic does NOT put up visible growth before
winter, because that growth will likely winter-kill, costing the clove

some
energy.

We've never managed to kill off the top growth over winter, even it what
be considered fairly hard cold frosts for round here. ( -10C is pretty
uncommon now in our neck of the woods I'd guess.)

I suspect that your location is some what harsher.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

---