Old 18-11-2002, 12:16 PM
Robert Davies

Default Non-sprouting garlic

About six weeks ago I planted some garlic cloves in pots in the
(unheated) greenhouse in the hope that they would start sprouting
before the winter. So far nothing. I just dug one up to see if it had
rotted - it looks perfectly healthy but with no sign of any root or
shhot developing. Should I just leave them and expect no sign of life
till the spring, or bring them indoors to see if the warmth gets them
started? And for future reference, should I have kept the cloves
indoors until they started sprouting before planting them out?

Many thanks

Robert
Old 18-11-2002, 01:11 PM
Edmund Greening

They'll be fine. Just have patience. Garlic is frost hardy.
I haven't planted mine yet; must get round to it this week.

Ed

Old 18-11-2002, 02:17 PM
Dwayne

Hi Robert, I am no expert on garlic but I leave mine inside until ready to
plant or use. I found that if I pull the head apart and put the cloves in a
plastic bag in the refrigerator, after a few weeks they start sprouting.
Normally I plant my garlic during the end of August or early Sept. It will
come up and get a good start before winter. I waited until later this year
on some of my garlic, and it took a long time to come up, but yesterday I
took my cousin out to see them and found that the ones that I planted late
had finally sprouted. I think if you leave them alone, you will get
sprouts, if not this fall, next spring. Good luck, Dwayne

Old 18-11-2002, 06:22 PM
subbykins{Chrd}

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 07:17:03 -0700, "Dwayne" wrote:
"Robert Davies" wrote in message
About six weeks ago I planted some garlic cloves in pots in the
(unheated) greenhouse in the hope that they would start sprouting
before the winter. So far nothing. I just dug one up to see if it had
rotted - it looks perfectly healthy but with no sign of any root or
shhot developing. Should I just leave them and expect no sign of life
till the spring, or bring them indoors to see if the warmth gets them
started? And for future reference, should I have kept the cloves
indoors until they started sprouting before planting them out?

Many thanks

Robert

Can you grow garlic in a pot on a window ledge?

"The only time you don't fail is the last time you try anything -- and it
works."

- William Strong

subbykins{Chrd}

Old 18-11-2002, 06:33 PM

Can you grow garlic in a pot on a window ledge?

Yup ... but you aren't going to get much cookin' out of 1 bulb of garlic.

My garlic (both normal and elephant-types) has been planted in 3" pots for a
few weeks now and is nicely shooting. All alongside my onions, shallots etc,
again all in individual pots...

- h

Old 18-11-2002, 10:06 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , H
writes
Can you grow garlic in a pot on a window ledge?

Yup ... but you aren't going to get much cookin' out of 1 bulb of garlic.

My garlic (both normal and elephant-types) has been planted in 3" pots for a
few weeks now and is nicely shooting. All alongside my onions, shallots etc,
again all in individual pots...

I'm just wondering why you bother putting the garlic in pots?

We just plant the cloves (not sprouting) in the ground in Octoberish
(last year we were well into November), they come up happily whatever
the weather.

We did experiment with putting cloches over some one year to see if it
made any difference. It didn't.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 19-11-2002, 09:59 AM

I'm just wondering why you bother putting the garlic in pots?

Because I'm hoping to move soon and want to take them with me :-)

- h

Old 19-11-2002, 10:36 AM
Druss

"Robert Davies" wrote in message
About six weeks ago I planted some garlic cloves in pots in the
(unheated) greenhouse in the hope that they would start sprouting
before the winter. So far nothing. I just dug one up to see if it had
rotted - it looks perfectly healthy but with no sign of any root or
shhot developing. Should I just leave them and expect no sign of life
till the spring, or bring them indoors to see if the warmth gets them
started? And for future reference, should I have kept the cloves
indoors until they started sprouting before planting them out?

Many thanks

Robert

I remember reading somewhere, the old fashioned idea that you plant garlic
on the shortest day and harvest it ont he longest. So I'd guess it's fine,
just give it more time.
Duncan

Old 19-11-2002, 01:52 PM

"Druss" wrote:

I remember reading somewhere, the old fashioned idea that you plant garlic
on the shortest day and harvest it ont he longest.

It's just that, and for most people, wrong.
Plant 6-8 weeks before the ground freezes, late autumn if the ground never
freezes, but some hardneck varieties will not do well in mild winters.
Harvest when half the leaves have turned brown, or when the bulb is fully
filled out. Pros cut a sample in half horizontally from time to time to be
sure.

You're better off if the garlic does NOT put up visible growth before
winter, because that growth will likely winter-kill, costing the clove some
energy.

Fortunately, I'm always running late...

Yours in bad breath,

Old 19-11-2002, 07:50 PM

"Druss" wrote:

I remember reading somewhere, the old fashioned idea that you plant garlic
on the shortest day and harvest it ont he longest.

It's just that, and for most people, wrong.

Yep, late December is way to late, either earlier or later on in late
winter. And late June is early for most varieties for harvesting.
(though it of course depends where this saying hails from.

Plant 6-8 weeks before the ground freezes, late autumn if the ground never
freezes, but some hardneck varieties will not do well in mild winters.
Harvest when half the leaves have turned brown, or when the bulb is fully
filled out. Pros cut a sample in half horizontally from time to time to be
sure.

You're better off if the garlic does NOT put up visible growth before
winter, because that growth will likely winter-kill, costing the clove some
energy.

We've never managed to kill off the top growth over winter, even it what
be considered fairly hard cold frosts for round here. ( -10C is pretty
uncommon now in our neck of the woods I'd guess.)

I suspect that your location is some what harsher.

Old 20-11-2002, 05:13 PM
trevor.appleton

planted mine in pots in a polytunnel last w/e to plant out once they shoot
to a couple or three inches, proably February. Why pots? Only because I
haven't had time to prepare any ground in the veg patch.

Trevor Appleton

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message ...
In message ,
writes
"Druss" wrote:

[...]

---

Old 20-11-2002, 06:58 PM
Dan Champion

Well, here in Central Scotland I've always planted in December, always
harvested in July, always had a bumper crop.. :O)

I guess there is no hard and fast rule, so if you're growing it for the
first time plant some now and some later and see how it grows for you.

Dan