Old 21-11-2002, 06:09 AM
dave @ stejonda

Default what's the name of the shrub that has marble sized.shaped white fruit?

In message , Rodger Whitlock
writes
On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:34:14 +0000, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

Sounds like Snowberry to me.

Symphoricarpos albus.

The subspecies S. a. laevigatus is native hereabouts.

I'll try and plant it near my Canadian white cedar arch then, provide
some kind of coherence, at least in my mind.

It likes a
somewhat shady, seasonally wet/moist position, but can handle
nearly complete drought during the summer.

I've received an email follow-up, from someone saying that they've heard
it is poisonous. Does anyone know whether this is true? Is it seriously
poisonous to humans? which parts? The arch mentioned above is near my
pond, would the leaves/berries be poisonous to fish?

The same correspondent also suggested that it has a wide-spreading and
deep root system which even concrete may have difficulty containing.
This might explain why it's not widely grown in the UK. Might I have
problems with containment?

--
dave @ stejonda

calculate your ecological footprint http://www.lead.org/leadnet/footprint/