Old 21-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Jon Green

Default Oh No

"STEPHEN" wrote:

I think I have made the biggest error in my garden ever.........I think

I have a Bleeding Heart in my garden, and a few weeks ago, the bush look as
if it was done for the summer/this year, and I went on to cut it down to the
ground.
[...]
Need help if I have ballsed up

I believe that Dicentra will regrow from quite a harsh pruning, but
taking it to ground level may have been a little too drastic.
Dead-heading would have been a little more appropriate.

TBH, it's done now, there's nothing else you can do. Wait until Spring,
and see if it throws new shoots. If it's showing no signs of doing so,
scratch the bark a little way back from the cut, and see if it's green
underneath. If not, try somewhere else. If you can't find any signs of
life under the skin, grub it up and write it down to experience.

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! Replace 'deadspam' with 'green-lines' to reply in email.
Want a free solution to email spam? Try http://www.deadspam.com/