Old 21-11-2002, 01:10 PM
STEPHEN

Default Oh No

I think I have made the biggest error in my garden ever.........I think

I have a Bleeding Heart in my garden, and a few weeks ago, the bush look as
if it was done for the summer/this year, and I went on to cut it down to the
ground.

should have I done that? and what can I do in the future to do the right
thing

Can/ will the bush grow again next year

All I have is this cut down bush in the garden

Need help if I have ballsed up

Stephen

--

He who Laughs last
is a last laugher

Old 21-11-2002, 02:54 PM
papa

If you mean D. spectabilis then worry not. It is perrenial and will just
come back again next year. I am surprised it has not died off to ground
level already but if it has not then you have just helped it along a bit.
:-)

regards

P.

Old 21-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Jon Green

"STEPHEN" wrote:

I think I have made the biggest error in my garden ever.........I think

I have a Bleeding Heart in my garden, and a few weeks ago, the bush look as
if it was done for the summer/this year, and I went on to cut it down to the
ground.
[...]
Need help if I have ballsed up

I believe that Dicentra will regrow from quite a harsh pruning, but
taking it to ground level may have been a little too drastic.
Dead-heading would have been a little more appropriate.

TBH, it's done now, there's nothing else you can do. Wait until Spring,
and see if it throws new shoots. If it's showing no signs of doing so,
scratch the bark a little way back from the cut, and see if it's green
underneath. If not, try somewhere else. If you can't find any signs of
life under the skin, grub it up and write it down to experience.

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! Replace 'deadspam' with 'green-lines' to reply in email.
Want a free solution to email spam? Try http://www.deadspam.com/
Old 21-11-2002, 11:18 PM
Michael Berridge

STEPHEN wrote in message ...
I think I have made the biggest error in my garden ever.........I think

I have a Bleeding Heart in my garden, and a few weeks ago, the bush

look as
if it was done for the summer/this year, and I went on to cut it down

to the
ground.

should have I done that? and what can I do in the future to do the

right
thing

Dicentra usually is cut down to the ground by a hard frost, but
reappears next year, so don't worry it will be back..

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 22-11-2002, 08:37 PM
STEPHEN

Thanx

stephen

--

He who Laughs last
is a last laugher
"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Michael Berridge
writes
Dicentra usually is cut down to the ground by a hard frost, but
reappears next year, so don't worry it will be back..

Our dicentra has usually died back well before summer ends - the frost
doesn't get a look in!!!!!!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 22-11-2002, 08:37 PM
STEPHEN

Thanxs

Stephen