Old 25-07-2005, 08:54 AM
JKevorkian

Default Alien? grass

Some time ago, I read an article in this group titled something like:
"What grass is this?", where the poster asked about a strange grass that was
coming up in his newly planted lawn. For the life of me, I've Googled for that,
or any article similar to no avail.
This past spring I dug up my entire backyard, tilled it, and spread new
topsoil and grass seed from our local nursery. The seed was a mixture of blue,
rye and fescue and started to sprout within 8 days of sowing. At first, it
showed great promise, within a month was looking quite lush and dark green, with
an occasional light green blade popping up here and there. Now, 2-½ months
later, those light green blades are spreading everywhere. They grow twice as
fast as the dark green stuff, the blades are extremely wide in comparison, and
really detract from the appearance. I just mowed on Saturday evening, and
already those buggers are ½ to ¾ inch taller than the surrounding grass.
So, what grass is this, and how can I get rid of it?

Tom & Donna Flyer