Old 25-07-2005, 08:54 AM
JKevorkian

Default Alien? grass

Some time ago, I read an article in this group titled something like:
"What grass is this?", where the poster asked about a strange grass that was
coming up in his newly planted lawn. For the life of me, I've Googled for that,
or any article similar to no avail.
This past spring I dug up my entire backyard, tilled it, and spread new
topsoil and grass seed from our local nursery. The seed was a mixture of blue,
rye and fescue and started to sprout within 8 days of sowing. At first, it
showed great promise, within a month was looking quite lush and dark green, with
an occasional light green blade popping up here and there. Now, 2-½ months
later, those light green blades are spreading everywhere. They grow twice as
fast as the dark green stuff, the blades are extremely wide in comparison, and
really detract from the appearance. I just mowed on Saturday evening, and
already those buggers are ½ to ¾ inch taller than the surrounding grass.
So, what grass is this, and how can I get rid of it?

Tom & Donna Flyer

Old 25-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Steveo

JKevorkian wrote:
[...]

It sounds like nutsedge. (also called nutgrass)

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 25-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Grinch

"JKevorkian" wrote in message
[...]

I think I have that, too. The weeds I have fit your description and seem to
be a bulb. You can pull them up individually like a bulb and they sprout in
June/July and go down with the first frost.

I tried to spot kill them with weed-be gone type stuff but no luck. Roundup
barely kills them and that is ineffective in the lawn but works when it
spreads to the beds.

Grinch

Old 25-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Steveo

"Grinch" wrote:
I tried to spot kill them with weed-be gone type stuff but no luck.
Roundup barely kills them and that is ineffective in the lawn but works
when it spreads to the beds.

Grinch

Try something that's listed for nutsedge control. do it when it's below 85
degrees and no rain in the forecast within 12 to 24 hours.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 01-08-2005, 05:20 AM
Sir Topham Hatt

Sound like annual bluegrass. There is no selective herbicide available that can
deal with that stuff. It usually dries out when it gets hot..

Old 01-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Steveo

Sir Topham Hatt wrote:
Sound like annual bluegrass. There is no selective herbicide available
that can deal with that stuff. It usually dries out when it gets hot..

Even after reading this from his description?
---------------------------------------
They grow twice as
fast as the dark green stuff, the blades are extremely wide in
comparison,
JKevorkian wrote:

---------------------------------------

It sounds like nutsedge.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:53 AM
Sir Topham Hatt

If the tips of the grass looks like the bow of a boat, its poa annua (annual
bluegrass)
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...LC:en%26sa%3DN
Steveo wrote:

Sir Topham Hatt wrote:
Sound like annual bluegrass. There is no selective herbicide available
that can deal with that stuff. It usually dries out when it gets hot..

Even after reading this from his description?
---------------------------------------
They grow twice as
fast as the dark green stuff, the blades are extremely wide in
comparison,
JKevorkian wrote:

---------------------------------------

It sounds like nutsedge.

Old 02-08-2005, 07:33 AM
Grinch

If the tips of the grass looks like the bow of a boat, its poa annua
(annual
bluegrass)

The stuff growing in my yard is not poa. It is some kind of bulb-like
stuff. Much thicker (wider blade) than poa and clumpier.

Old 02-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Steveo

Sir Topham Hatt wrote:
If the tips of the grass looks like the bow of a boat, its poa annua
(annual bluegrass)
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu....edu/teaching/
NRES300/weed%2520photo3/poa%2520annua%2520mature.gif&imgrefurl=http://www
.turf.uiuc.edu/teaching/NRES300/fall%2520weeds.htm&h=330&w=500&sz=85&tbni
d=Cpo8T6Q7GzoJ:&tbnh=83&tbnw=127&hl=en&start=3&pre v=/images%3Fq%3Dpoa%2Ba
nnua%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLC,G GLC:1969-53,
GGLC:en%26sa%3DN Steveo wrote:

Poa DOES NOT grow twice as fast or have an extremely wide blade. In fact
poa is for the most part dead right now! It will be germinating again soon.
Read the OP before making a guess diagnosis, or explain how his poa is
growing twice as fast as his desirable turf at this time of year? (top
posting blows)

Sir Topham Hatt wrote:
Sound like annual bluegrass. There is no selective herbicide
available that can deal with that stuff. It usually dries out when it
gets hot..

Even after reading this from his description?
---------------------------------------
They grow twice as
fast as the dark green stuff, the blades are extremely wide in
comparison,
JKevorkian wrote:

---------------------------------------

It sounds like nutsedge.

Old 02-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Steveo

"Grinch" wrote:
If the tips of the grass looks like the bow of a boat, its poa annua
(annual
bluegrass)

The stuff growing in my yard is not poa. It is some kind of bulb-like
stuff. Much thicker (wider blade) than poa and clumpier.

Does it look like nutsedge?

http://tinyurl.com/9jl4d

--
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old 03-08-2005, 05:29 AM
Grinch

Does it look like nutsedge?

http://tinyurl.com/9jl4d

Congrats Steveo. That's the stuff. Selective killers don't kill it and
Roundup barely kills it and destroys the rest of the lawn. It's fairly easy
to pull and I've pulled 326 with just 3,442,993 to go.

Any way to keep this from coming back next year ?

Old 03-08-2005, 09:03 AM
JKevorkian

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 04:29:45 GMT, "Grinch" wrote:

Congrats Steveo. That's the stuff. Selective killers don't kill it and
Roundup barely kills it and destroys the rest of the lawn. It's fairly easy
to pull and I've pulled 326 with just 3,442,993 to go.

Any way to keep this from coming back next year ?

I'm the OP, and yes, that's the stuff alright. Tried Bayer's crabgrass killer,
which has little affect. Fortunately, we have a smallish lawn, and there's only
2,334,582 plants to pull..
As Grinch asked, "Any way to keep this from coming back next year ?"

Tom & Donna Flyer

Old 03-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Steveo

"Grinch" wrote:
Does it look like nutsedge?

http://tinyurl.com/9jl4d

Congrats Steveo. That's the stuff. Selective killers don't kill it and
Roundup barely kills it and destroys the rest of the lawn. It's fairly
easy to pull and I've pulled 326 with just 3,442,993 to go.

Any way to keep this from coming back next year ?

Not really, spraying with Manage nocks it down fairly well with minimal
turf damage.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 03-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Steveo

JKevorkian wrote:
On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 04:29:45 GMT, "Grinch" wrote:

Congrats Steveo. That's the stuff. Selective killers don't kill it and
Roundup barely kills it and destroys the rest of the lawn. It's fairly
easy to pull and I've pulled 326 with just 3,442,993 to go.

Any way to keep this from coming back next year ?

I'm the OP, and yes, that's the stuff alright. Tried Bayer's crabgrass
killer, which has little affect. Fortunately, we have a smallish lawn,
and there's only 2,334,582 plants to pull..
As Grinch asked, "Any way to keep this from coming back next year ?"

Tom & Donna Flyer

Manage or MSMA works ok on it. Don't do it if your turf is already stressed
from heat/drought tho. Follow the label closely. (you have them counted?)

--
http://NewsReader.Com/