Old 25-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Steveo

JKevorkian wrote:
Some time ago, I read an article in this group titled something like:
"What grass is this?", where the poster asked about a strange grass that
was coming up in his newly planted lawn. For the life of me, I've
Googled for that, or any article similar to no avail.
This past spring I dug up my entire backyard, tilled it, and spread new
topsoil and grass seed from our local nursery. The seed was a mixture of
blue, rye and fescue and started to sprout within 8 days of sowing. At
first, it showed great promise, within a month was looking quite lush and
dark green, with an occasional light green blade popping up here and
there. Now, 2-½ months later, those light green blades are spreading
everywhere. They grow twice as fast as the dark green stuff, the blades
are extremely wide in comparison, and really detract from the appearance.
I just mowed on Saturday evening, and already those buggers are ½ to ¾
inch taller than the surrounding grass.
So, what grass is this, and how can I get rid of it?

Tom & Donna Flyer

It sounds like nutsedge. (also called nutgrass)

--
http://NewsReader.Com/