Old 25-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from jayasatya contains these
words:

There are no poisonous plants that resemble strawberries, but
there's a related edible plant called the wood strawberry with
yellow flowers, and a similar fruit surrounded by hairy sepals
(modified leaves), that has no flavor.

Not one that I'm aware of: there are quite a few Potentillas with
yellow flowers, but I've never seen a strawberry-like fruit on one.

Latin name available?

I had these all over the place in Wales: yes, the fruit is almost
tasteless, though sweetish, so children like eating it. I think what
I had was the "Indian strawberry", variously named _Duchesnea indica_
or _Fragaria indica_ (I think the first name is the kosher one). It
doesn't seem to be in my Collins Field Guide, though it's a common
enough introduction as far as I know.

--
Mike.