Old 20-11-2002, 08:42 PM
Carol Russell

Default Wild srawberry but with yellow flower

Hello group

I have a plant that looks like a wild strawberry but has a yellow flower and
the fruit is very firm and bitter. Does anybody think they might know what
it is?

--
Art
Swap seeds at

Old 20-11-2002, 09:33 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Carol Russell Russells@q
ueenborough42.freeserve.co.uk writes
Hello group

I have a plant that looks like a wild strawberry but has a yellow flower and
the fruit is very firm and bitter. Does anybody think they might know what
it is?

One of the cinquefoils? - Potentilla - like the strawberry, another
member of the rose family.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 21-11-2002, 06:17 AM
Carol Russell

Hello group

I have a plant that looks like a wild strawberry but has a yellow flower

and
the fruit is very firm and bitter. Does anybody think they might know

what
it is?

One of the cinquefoils? - Potentilla - like the strawberry, another
member of the rose family.
--
Kay Easton

It's leaves are trefoilate native cinquefoils are not

Arthur

Old 21-11-2002, 04:00 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 20:42:27 -0000, "Carol Russell"
wrote:

I have a plant that looks like a wild strawberry but has a yellow flower and
the fruit is very firm and bitter. Does anybody think they might know what
it is?

Duchesnea indica.

There was a discussion of this plant, its propensity to spread,
and its hardiness -- or lack thereof -- just a week or so ago in
this very newsgroup. Google will no doubt cough up the thread if
you ask it nicely.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 23-11-2002, 03:08 AM
Carol Russell

I have a plant that looks like a wild strawberry but has a yellow flower

and
the fruit is very firm and bitter. Does anybody think they might know

what
it is?

Duchesnea indica.

There was a discussion of this plant, its propensity to spread,
and its hardiness -- or lack thereof -- just a week or so ago in
this very newsgroup. Google will no doubt cough up the thread if
you ask it nicely.

--
Rodger Whitlock

Roger I have searched Google but the thread isn't there. I am surprised I
didn't see the thread here.

Old 24-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Russell
Hello group

I have a plant that looks like a wild strawberry but has a yellow flower and
the fruit is very firm and bitter. Does anybody think they might know what
it is?

--
Art
Swap seeds at
Garden Web http://www.gardenweb.com
My Garden Web exchange page http://www.gardenweb.com/members/exch/art1952

There are no poisonous plants that resemble strawberries, but there's a related edible plant called the wood strawberry with yellow flowers, and a similar fruit surrounded by hairy sepals (modified leaves), that has no flavor.
Old 24-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from jayasatya contains these words:

There are no poisonous plants that resemble strawberries, but there's a
related edible plant called the wood strawberry with yellow flowers, and
a similar fruit surrounded by hairy sepals (modified leaves), that has
no flavor.

Not one that I'm aware of: there are quite a few Potentillas with yellow
flowers, but I've never seen a strawberry-like fruit on one.

Latin name available?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 25-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from jayasatya contains these
words:

There are no poisonous plants that resemble strawberries, but
there's a related edible plant called the wood strawberry with
yellow flowers, and a similar fruit surrounded by hairy sepals
(modified leaves), that has no flavor.

Not one that I'm aware of: there are quite a few Potentillas with
yellow flowers, but I've never seen a strawberry-like fruit on one.

Latin name available?

I had these all over the place in Wales: yes, the fruit is almost
tasteless, though sweetish, so children like eating it. I think what
I had was the "Indian strawberry", variously named _Duchesnea indica_
or _Fragaria indica_ (I think the first name is the kosher one). It
doesn't seem to be in my Collins Field Guide, though it's a common
enough introduction as far as I know.

--
Mike.

Old 25-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Latin name available?

I had these all over the place in Wales: yes, the fruit is almost
tasteless, though sweetish, so children like eating it. I think what
I had was the "Indian strawberry", variously named _Duchesnea indica_
or _Fragaria indica_ (I think the first name is the kosher one). It
doesn't seem to be in my Collins Field Guide, though it's a common
enough introduction as far as I know.

Perhaps its runners aren't very fast and it hasn't reached East Angular yet?