Old 25-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Timothy

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:32:05 +0000, Steveo wrote:
pruned for size...
Correction noted. Thank you for exposing my error,

-snip-
So at the end of the day, I would only suggest that the use of this
chemical if there was a serious infestation that was un-affected by
other treatment options.

Yea, if it only worked that way. Once again, it only works on very small
grubs so it is -not- a curative. If you wait until you find grub damage,
you CAN NOT use Merit or Mach II for a control product, since the grubs
will have too much body weight for these preventatives to be effective.

I'm not trying to argue with you, Tim, I'm just explaining the control
window for these products.

No worries here Steve, no arguements noted. We're on the same page for the
most part. One assumes that the homeowner is applying imidacloprid in
early / mid summer before damage is noticed. At this time the beetles are
making their first emergence and are laying the eggs that will become
grubs. The point earlier is that the mature beetles are also be affected
by the imidacloprid while they feed and lay eggs. I know, I know, big
deal we want them dead also right..? It's the other beetles that worry
me. The ones that are hunting your grubs/bad beetles and are otherwise
doing good work for your lawn area. While the affected beetles may live on
for a time (while the imidacloprid builds up in high enough concentrations
to kil) other creatures are feeding on the affected beetles/insects. There
is evidence that imidacloprid is making it's way into ground feeding
birds, but the death rates ( if any ) is unknown.

Imidacloprid is just synthetic nicotine for the most part and is
consumed while feeding on turf. The issue I have is that yes it will kill
your grubs, but it will also kill any sucking/chewing insect feeding on
your turf for up to 6 months. While many will see this as a bonus, I see
this doing greater damage to benificial populations than other control
options.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com