Old 26-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:54:57 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

Hi all

Is grey water from shower suitable for watering?
This will be loaded with conditioner/shampoo/contents of Boots pharmacy, as
it used by wife and daughter primarily. But the outlet to the stack is
handy for water butt location!

TIA

Phil

I'd agree with what the other posters have said, in general the
detergents don't do any harm and may even be beneficial, with two
exceptions. Most detergents are alkaline. Repeated application of grey
water to the soil will eventually make it alkaline as well. So you
don't want to apply it too often to acid-loving plants such as
rhododendrons, camellias and some heathers, although the occasional
watering won't do any harm, especially if it's that or let the plant
die. The other, and I must admit pretty rare occasion, is when
applying grey water to plants that are poisoned by phosphate, i.e.
protaceae. I doubt if many urglers grow them, but some may grow the
Chilean Fire Tree, Embothrium coccinium, which is a member of that
family. But again, the occasional watering won't make much difference.

--
Chris