Old 25-07-2005, 04:54 PM
TheScullster

Default Grey Water for Garden?

Hi all

Is grey water from shower suitable for watering?
This will be loaded with conditioner/shampoo/contents of Boots pharmacy, as
it used by wife and daughter primarily. But the outlet to the stack is
handy for water butt location!

TIA

Phil

Old 25-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Mike Lyle

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Is grey water from shower suitable for watering?
This will be loaded with conditioner/shampoo/contents of Boots
pharmacy, as it used by wife and daughter primarily. But the

outlet
to the stack is handy for water butt location!

I don't think it would do any harm at all: most of those products
would do no more than act as wetting agents, which could be an
advantage.

--
Mike.

Old 25-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Mike

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Is grey water from shower suitable for watering?
This will be loaded with conditioner/shampoo/contents of Boots pharmacy,

as
it used by wife and daughter primarily. But the outlet to the stack is
handy for water butt location!

TIA

Phil

During the 1976 'where the hell is the rain' period, we used grey water to
irrigate our veg garden and we are still here :-))

:-))))))))))))

Mike
don't the "owners" just hate me? :-)))))))))))))))))))))))))

Old 25-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:54:57 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

Hi all

Is grey water from shower suitable for watering?
This will be loaded with conditioner/shampoo/contents of Boots pharmacy, as
it used by wife and daughter primarily. But the outlet to the stack is
handy for water butt location!

I remember a question on GQT from someone who had a smelly water butt
which filled from the bath/ shower. Bob Flowerdew said don't store
grey water in a butt. He suggested connecting a hose to the outlet and
putting the end in a different part of the garden each day. Makes
some sense I think.

Pam in Bristol
Old 25-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Mike

He suggested connecting a hose to the outlet and
putting the end in a different part of the garden each day. Makes
some sense I think.

Pam in Bristol

That is what we did :-))

Old 25-07-2005, 06:12 PM
JennyC

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Is grey water from shower suitable for watering?
This will be loaded with conditioner/shampoo/contents of Boots pharmacy, as
it used by wife and daughter primarily. But the outlet to the stack is
handy for water butt location!

TIA Phil

Lots of info here......:
http://www.oasisdesign.net/greywater/

http://www.cat.org.uk/information/ca...atinfo.db&eqSK
Udatarq=InfoSheet_Greywater&eqCURRENTdatarq=0

Jenny

Old 26-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Chris Hogg

wrote:

Hi all

Is grey water from shower suitable for watering?
This will be loaded with conditioner/shampoo/contents of Boots pharmacy, as
it used by wife and daughter primarily. But the outlet to the stack is
handy for water butt location!

TIA

Phil

I'd agree with what the other posters have said, in general the
detergents don't do any harm and may even be beneficial, with two
exceptions. Most detergents are alkaline. Repeated application of grey
water to the soil will eventually make it alkaline as well. So you
don't want to apply it too often to acid-loving plants such as
rhododendrons, camellias and some heathers, although the occasional
watering won't do any harm, especially if it's that or let the plant
die. The other, and I must admit pretty rare occasion, is when
applying grey water to plants that are poisoned by phosphate, i.e.
protaceae. I doubt if many urglers grow them, but some may grow the
Chilean Fire Tree, Embothrium coccinium, which is a member of that
family. But again, the occasional watering won't make much difference.

--
Chris

Old 26-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Rod Craddock

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
I'd agree with what the other posters have said, in general the
detergents don't do any harm and may even be beneficial, with two
exceptions. Most detergents are alkaline. Repeated application of grey
water to the soil will eventually make it alkaline as well. So you
don't want to apply it too often to acid-loving plants such as
rhododendrons, camellias and some heathers, although the occasional
watering won't do any harm, especially if it's that or let the plant
die. The other, and I must admit pretty rare occasion, is when
applying grey water to plants that are poisoned by phosphate, i.e.
protaceae. I doubt if many urglers grow them, but some may grow the
Chilean Fire Tree, Embothrium coccinium, which is a member of that
family. But again, the occasional watering won't make much difference.

Agreed with everybody, when push come to shove and things are really
suffering - then almost any water is better than no water - even to the
extent of occasional alkaline water to lime haters.

Can't do much about veg crops - if what you are growing needs water, then
it's got to have it.

For ornamentals - better get used to the idea of growing subjects with a
lower water requirement.

--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 26-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "michael adams" contains these words:

Normal soap and shampoo contain phosphate which is a
plant nutrient which is essential for photosynthesis.
You can tell this, as eco-friendly versions are marketed
as being phosphate-free. As too much phosphate in the water
table can cause problems. Using bath water in the garden
where any phosphates will be taken up directly by plants
therefore is a good idea. Provided the water is
distributed around the garden at least.

My grape vines get my bathwater, but in 10 gallon batches, siphoned
through a skinny tube.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/