Old 26-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Elaine T

Justin wrote:
It must be different here in Australia... Here is the part where I got
this from on the australia horticulture site...

3) Dump Muriate of Potash:

Muriate contains 50% microbe-killing chlorine. Sulfate of Potash may be
more expensive, but most Queensland soils are sulfur deficient, and this
benefit should be factored into the cost difference. It is always
difficult to quantify microbe damage, because the organisms are not
visible, but there is ample, visible evidence when we consider
earthworms: NTS have collected several reports of reduced earthworm
numbers following prolonged use of Muriate. Leading American consultants
cite cases where this phenomenon is reversed. Earthworms tend to return
following a switch from muriate of Potash to Sulfate of potash.

Just thought it might be a bit dangerous in aquariums...

Thanks

Justin.

Using the word "chlorine" rather than "chloride ion" for Cl- (half of
muriate of potash) is incorrect in any form of the English language.
Rocco explained this in excellent detail. On a simplistic level,
earthworms probably prefer sulfate to something very similar to table
salt since salt tends to dry them out.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__