Old 27-07-2005, 04:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 26 Jul 2005 14:42:31 -0700, wrote:

The lily I bought for my new pond a few weeks ago (Nymphaea Carnea) has
had it.
The leaves developed black patches and one by one the leaves rotted at
the base and detached themselves. I took the tuber/root out the pot and
found the top to be soft.
I,ve tried re-potting it after cutting the soft area off and put it
in a bucket rather than the pond but I'm not too hopeful.
Two questions.
Googling for Lily problems I found mention of root rot a fungal
disease. Does this sound like what I've got and if so what steps can I
take to prevent it happening again.

You mean crown rot? Hopefully your other lilies didn't catch it as it can
be contagious. Some lilies are more susceptible than others. If it is crown
rot you'll have to toss it. Btw, crown rot smells very, very bad.

In retrospect I suppose I should have planted it in a bucket until
sure it was healthy. Is this worth doing for any new plants. If so for
how long.
Is it a possible water quality problem. The water is clear. I
haven't tested it but the fish are all fine. Is there any levels ie
salt nitrates ph etc that would kill lilies.
Iain

Lilies will easily tolerate 0.1% but they get crispy around 0.3%, they will
survive that amount, but I don't subject my lilies to those amounts, I'd
pull them first. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~