Old 26-07-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Lily Problem

The lily I bought for my new pond a few weeks ago (Nymphaea Carnea) has
had it.
The leaves developed black patches and one by one the leaves rotted at
the base and detached themselves. I took the tuber/root out the pot and
found the top to be soft.
I,ve tried re-potting it after cutting the soft area off and put it
in a bucket rather than the pond but I'm not too hopeful.
Two questions.
Googling for Lily problems I found mention of root rot a fungal
disease. Does this sound like what I've got and if so what steps can I
take to prevent it happening again.
In retrospect I suppose I should have planted it in a bucket until
sure it was healthy. Is this worth doing for any new plants. If so for
how long.
Is it a possible water quality problem. The water is clear. I
haven't tested it but the fish are all fine. Is there any levels ie
salt nitrates ph etc that would kill lilies.
Iain

Old 27-07-2005, 10:03 PM

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

You mean crown rot? Hopefully your other lilies didn't catch it as it can
be contagious. Some lilies are more susceptible than others. If it is crown
rot you'll have to toss it. Btw, crown rot smells very, very bad.

Thanks for your answer. Didn't notice a bad smell so hopefully not
crown rot. I have a low level of salt in the water I'll do a partial
change before trying any more lilies. Its a new pond with no other
lilies as yet.
Any suggested varieties good for crown rot resistance, and suitable
for UK climate?
Iain

Old 28-07-2005, 06:50 AM

Yups, it sounds very much like water lily root rot, one of the few
things which can destroy hardy water lilies, besides high salt levels

To stand some chance of eliminating the condition, empty pond, burn all
soil and plants, rinse all surfaces with a strong bleach solution (a
couple of times to be sure)

Alas, when folk find their waterlilies are disappointing (infected)
it's not unusual to find they dump them free on anyone who will take
them. Needless to say, unscrupulous folk slice them and dice them to
make a fast buck

To stand some chance of getting a water lily in good condition, take
care to get them from folk who have abundantly flowering collections,
odds on the owner knows how to keep their collection disease free.
Abundant flowering does not happen on infected ponds, with the
exception of just a few vigorous growing varieties

A few varieties can outpace the fungus, think twice about anything from
ponds where only Alba, Attraction or Colorado's are growing...

Take care to examine any new plants before putting them in your pond
and apply harsh bleach disinfection... I've come across infected
rhisomes inserted into the soil of marginal plant pots.

It seems some folk are determined to infect our ponds to increase their
chances of selling 'more' water lilies or 'pushing' tropical water
lilies onto the market as a solution to 'ponds where hardies don't
grow'

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
------------------------------

Old 28-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Reel Mckoi

wrote in message
ups.com...
It seems some folk are determined to infect our ponds to increase their
chances of selling 'more' water lilies or 'pushing' tropical water
lilies onto the market as a solution to 'ponds where hardies don't
grow'

This is good information to know. I'll check any and all new plants I
purchase now for anything suspicious in the pots. Do you know if Potassium
Permanganate would kill it? I've always soaked new plants in a solution of
that before adding them to any of my pools or ponds.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b