Old 27-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Doug Kanter

"John Davis" wrote in message
Have tried several border flowers for my garden. So far, every one was
a smorgasbord for the rabbits, squirrels and chipmunks. They took the
tops off of 36 marigolds the day after they were planted. Two days
later, the stems were eaten down to the ground. Can anyone recommend a
perennial border plant that can survive this onslaught.

Someone else can recommend plants. Meanwhile, try some Irish Spring bar
soap. The smell did a good job of repelling almost everything including deer
in my garden, at least for a month or so. Sometimes all you need to do is
give the plants a chance to reach a certain size and they'll be fine
afterward.

I placed the soap bars in yogurt containers and laid them on their sides,
with the bottoms tipped up slightly so they wouldn't fill with water when it
rained. I know - it's ugly, but it worked. Maybe you could disguise them
with some mulch. In my vegetable garden, I really didn't care, and the
plants themselves covered up the plastic things.