Old 27-07-2005, 05:05 PM
John Davis

Default Varment free border flowers?

Have tried several border flowers for my garden. So far, every one was
a smorgasbord for the rabbits, squirrels and chipmunks. They took the
tops off of 36 marigolds the day after they were planted. Two days
later, the stems were eaten down to the ground. Can anyone recommend a
perennial border plant that can survive this onslaught.

Old 27-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Doug Kanter

"John Davis" wrote in message
Have tried several border flowers for my garden. So far, every one was
a smorgasbord for the rabbits, squirrels and chipmunks. They took the
tops off of 36 marigolds the day after they were planted. Two days
later, the stems were eaten down to the ground. Can anyone recommend a
perennial border plant that can survive this onslaught.

Someone else can recommend plants. Meanwhile, try some Irish Spring bar
soap. The smell did a good job of repelling almost everything including deer
in my garden, at least for a month or so. Sometimes all you need to do is
give the plants a chance to reach a certain size and they'll be fine
afterward.

I placed the soap bars in yogurt containers and laid them on their sides,
with the bottoms tipped up slightly so they wouldn't fill with water when it
rained. I know - it's ugly, but it worked. Maybe you could disguise them
with some mulch. In my vegetable garden, I really didn't care, and the
plants themselves covered up the plastic things.

Old 27-07-2005, 06:39 PM
RosietheRiviter

One thing I found that worked to keep the deer and the rabbits from my
hostas etc. was to put stakes in and around the plants, tie a piece of
rag to it and every other day or so spray with downy fabric softener.
Once they got a bit of a size the animals seem to leave them alone. I
know, it is ugly as well but if it saves the plants!!

Old 27-07-2005, 07:37 PM
BetsyB

"RosietheRiviter" wrote in message
oups.com...
One thing I found that worked to keep the deer and the rabbits from my
hostas etc. was to put stakes in and around the plants, tie a piece of
rag to it and every other day or so spray with downy fabric softener.
Once they got a bit of a size the animals seem to leave them alone. I
know, it is ugly as well but if it saves the plants!!

Might be a good idea to cut fabric softner sheets in strips and use them
instead of material?

Old 28-07-2005, 04:24 AM
B & J

"John Davis" wrote in message
Have tried several border flowers for my garden. So far, every one was
a smorgasbord for the rabbits, squirrels and chipmunks. They took the
tops off of 36 marigolds the day after they were planted. Two days
later, the stems were eaten down to the ground. Can anyone recommend a
perennial border plant that can survive this onslaught.

Upon recommendation from a friend, I tried Liquid Fence to keep squirrels
out of my peach and pear trees as the fruit was ripening. I sprayed some on
the trunks, and the tree rats decided they didn't like it. It also keep them
away from flower beds where I had used it for Bambi, and I don't have the
usual buried hickory trees sprouting in all the flower beds. It not only
works on wood rats but, as a bonus, on tree rats as well.

JPS

Old 28-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Doug Kanter

"B & J" wrote in message
"John Davis" wrote in message
Have tried several border flowers for my garden. So far, every one was
a smorgasbord for the rabbits, squirrels and chipmunks. They took the
tops off of 36 marigolds the day after they were planted. Two days
later, the stems were eaten down to the ground. Can anyone recommend a
perennial border plant that can survive this onslaught.

Upon recommendation from a friend, I tried Liquid Fence to keep squirrels
out of my peach and pear trees as the fruit was ripening. I sprayed some
on the trunks, and the tree rats decided they didn't like it. It also keep
them away from flower beds where I had used it for Bambi, and I don't have
the usual buried hickory trees sprouting in all the flower beds. It not
only works on wood rats but, as a bonus, on tree rats as well.

JPS

For the flower beds, did you have to spray it *in* the beds, or around the
perimeter grass? I'm interested in the stuff for a vegetable garden, but not
too keen on applying it to the soil or plants themselves.

Old 29-07-2005, 04:01 AM
B & J

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"B & J" wrote in message

snip
Upon recommendation from a friend, I tried Liquid Fence to keep squirrels
out of my peach and pear trees as the fruit was ripening. I sprayed some
on the trunks, and the tree rats decided they didn't like it. It also
keep them away from flower beds where I had used it for Bambi, and I
don't have the usual buried hickory trees sprouting in all the flower
beds. It not only works on wood rats but, as a bonus, on tree rats as
well.

JPS

For the flower beds, did you have to spray it *in* the beds, or around the
perimeter grass? I'm interested in the stuff for a vegetable garden, but
not too keen on applying it to the soil or plants themselves.

I would not use it on vegetables, only shrubs and flowers. (It does contain
putrescent egg solids, garlic, and hot peppers.) It must be sprayed directly
on the plants you wish to protect, not the perimeter of the area or the
ground around them. It has no adverse effects on the plants sprayed in my
observation, and they continue to grow and thrive. It is almost impossible
to detect any smell after it has dried and remains effective for quite a
while, even after rain. I spray it on the highly deer attracting plants such
as hydrangeas once every three weeks, give or take a few days.

I tried a Google search, and most were sales sites. All claimed it
ecologically friendly.

For what it's worth, I hope my observations helped..

JPS