Old 24-11-2002, 01:14 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Kay- unusual apple varieties

The message
from "anton" contains these words:

I'm looking for something in flowering period 3 or 4, and which will
tolerate - even thrive - on wet clay in Yorkshire."

Kay- this had dropped off my server so I had to get it from
google groups.

Here's a few suggestions:

Pitmaston Pine apple- tiny and pine-appley.
Norfolk Royal russet (better than Norfolk Royal) somewhat
Cox-like
Ribston Pippin will certainly grow, and to me tastes like
a meaty version of Cox.
Banns- tasty & scented
Ball's Pippin which I've just tasted- Sturmer/ Cox cross- bit
large and dull looking but just buckets of taste. (I can't find a
supplier though, so this is a useless recommendation- I'll
have to have one grafted at Brogdale)

Anton,

Do you have a favourite supplier? Do you use mail order?

I can get quite a good range locally but only on M26 rootstock and, as I
have a fair bit of room I'd like to try MM106. Keepers seem to have a
good range on varied rootstocks. Any recommendations?

Janet G