Old 24-11-2002, 01:14 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Kay- unusual apple varieties

The message
from "anton" contains these words:

I'm looking for something in flowering period 3 or 4, and which will
tolerate - even thrive - on wet clay in Yorkshire."

Kay- this had dropped off my server so I had to get it from
google groups.

Here's a few suggestions:

Pitmaston Pine apple- tiny and pine-appley.
Norfolk Royal russet (better than Norfolk Royal) somewhat
Cox-like
Ribston Pippin will certainly grow, and to me tastes like
a meaty version of Cox.
Banns- tasty & scented
Ball's Pippin which I've just tasted- Sturmer/ Cox cross- bit
large and dull looking but just buckets of taste. (I can't find a
supplier though, so this is a useless recommendation- I'll
have to have one grafted at Brogdale)

Anton,

Do you have a favourite supplier? Do you use mail order?

I can get quite a good range locally but only on M26 rootstock and, as I
have a fair bit of room I'd like to try MM106. Keepers seem to have a
good range on varied rootstocks. Any recommendations?

Janet G

Old 24-11-2002, 08:00 AM
anton

Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson wrote in message
The message
from "anton" contains these words:

Do you have a favourite supplier? Do you use mail order?

I can get quite a good range locally but only on M26 rootstock and, as I
have a fair bit of room I'd like to try MM106. Keepers seem to have a
good range on varied rootstocks. Any recommendations?

As I've wanted some obscure varieties, I've grasshoppered
about between different suppliers in order to get whatever
is this year's bee in my bonnet. All have been good.

Keeper's, Kent, attempt to have an extremely large list of varieties &
rootstocks. They don't always succeed in having the one you
want in stock, but deserve a pat on the back for trying.
www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/

Brogdale, Kent have an interesting list, and a very informative
catalogue. High quality but prices a bit higher.
www.brogdale.org.uk/

Buckingham nurseries have on-line ordering, and a good
range of soft fruit. Their range of top fruit is more limited.
www.buckingham-nurseries.co.uk/

Deacon's Nursery, Isle of Wight have a wide list and large stocks
(no website, I believe- tel 01983-840750)

Reads Nurseries, Norfolk, have a huge lost of some of the more
obscure fruits, and are very informative.
http://www.reads-nursery.co.uk/

Ranworth trees, Norfolk, have a reasonable list and are
cheapish.
www.ranworth-trees.co.uk/

Ken Muir, Essex has a shortish list, and is very big in mail-order.
www.kenmuir.co.uk/

There is also J Tweedie fruit trees, Dumfries, with a wide list
whom I haven't used. (no website, tel 01387-720880)

have fun
--
Anton

Old 24-11-2002, 11:34 AM
Kay Easton

In article , anton
writes
Kay- this had dropped off my server so I had to get it from
google groups.

Here's a few suggestions:

thanks for all these suggestions - I'll look into them.

It's especially kind of you to have gone to the trouble of retrieving my
post form the server.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 24-11-2002, 11:36 AM
Kay Easton

In article , anton
writes

Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson wrote in message
The message
from "anton" contains these words:

Do you have a favourite supplier? Do you use mail order?

I can get quite a good range locally but only on M26 rootstock and, as I
have a fair bit of room I'd like to try MM106. Keepers seem to have a
good range on varied rootstocks. Any recommendations?

As I've wanted some obscure varieties, I've grasshoppered
about between different suppliers in order to get whatever
is this year's bee in my bonnet. All have been good.

There's also Scotts of merriott - good range, though only a couple of
rootstocks - is this why you didn't mention them, or are you not very
impressed with them?

Old 24-11-2002, 03:57 PM
anton

Kay Easton wrote in message ...
In article , anton
writes

Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson wrote in message

There's also Scotts of merriott - good range, though only a couple of
rootstocks - is this why you didn't mention them, or are you not very
impressed with them?

I've seen the name come up occasionally as a fruit
tree supplier, but I haven't had any contact with them,
or seen their list. I don't know anything to their discredit.
--
Anton

Old 24-11-2002, 04:21 PM
Kay Easton

In article , anton
writes

Kay Easton wrote in message ...
In article , anton
writes

Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson wrote in message

There's also Scotts of merriott - good range, though only a couple of
rootstocks - is this why you didn't mention them, or are you not very
impressed with them?

I've seen the name come up occasionally as a fruit
tree supplier, but I haven't had any contact with them,
or seen their list. I don't know anything to their discredit.

they don't seem to have a web page - lots of mentions of them, but no
site of their own.

The catalogue I have lists 207 apple varieties, most on M26 or M106,
with some also on M27 or M25. they also do cider apples and perry
pears, as you might expect of a Somerset firm.

Old 24-11-2002, 09:08 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "anton" contains these words:

Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson wrote in message
The message
from "anton" contains these words:

Do you have a favourite supplier? Do you use mail order?

I can get quite a good range locally but only on M26 rootstock and, as I
have a fair bit of room I'd like to try MM106. Keepers seem to have a
good range on varied rootstocks. Any recommendations?

As I've wanted some obscure varieties, I've grasshoppered
about between different suppliers in order to get whatever
is this year's bee in my bonnet. All have been good.

Snipped lots of useful information

Many thanks. This is really useful. Lots of happy browsing.

Janet G

FAO Kay. pruning lavender Tiger303 United Kingdom 0 17-02-2006 01:38 PM
Re Decking Advice - John Ormiston & Kay Easton. Len United Kingdom 0 27-02-2004 11:22 PM
Unusual idea. unusual request. James Gardening 34 19-02-2004 09:16 PM
ATTN: Kay Easton Bob H United Kingdom 3 25-01-2004 10:17 PM
unusual apple varieties Kay Easton United Kingdom 0 27-10-2002 10:24 AM