Old 24-11-2002, 08:00 AM
anton

Default Kay- unusual apple varieties

Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson wrote in message
The message
from "anton" contains these words:

Do you have a favourite supplier? Do you use mail order?

I can get quite a good range locally but only on M26 rootstock and, as I
have a fair bit of room I'd like to try MM106. Keepers seem to have a
good range on varied rootstocks. Any recommendations?

As I've wanted some obscure varieties, I've grasshoppered
about between different suppliers in order to get whatever
is this year's bee in my bonnet. All have been good.

Keeper's, Kent, attempt to have an extremely large list of varieties &
rootstocks. They don't always succeed in having the one you
want in stock, but deserve a pat on the back for trying.
www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/

Brogdale, Kent have an interesting list, and a very informative
catalogue. High quality but prices a bit higher.
www.brogdale.org.uk/

Buckingham nurseries have on-line ordering, and a good
range of soft fruit. Their range of top fruit is more limited.
www.buckingham-nurseries.co.uk/

Deacon's Nursery, Isle of Wight have a wide list and large stocks
(no website, I believe- tel 01983-840750)

Reads Nurseries, Norfolk, have a huge lost of some of the more
obscure fruits, and are very informative.
http://www.reads-nursery.co.uk/

Ranworth trees, Norfolk, have a reasonable list and are
cheapish.
www.ranworth-trees.co.uk/

Ken Muir, Essex has a shortish list, and is very big in mail-order.
www.kenmuir.co.uk/

There is also J Tweedie fruit trees, Dumfries, with a wide list
whom I haven't used. (no website, tel 01387-720880)

have fun
--
Anton